14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

Prudence is Finally Under Sail Again

01 April 2007 | Whortonsville, NC
Doug Mayle
We finally got Prudence out and under sail. It was a sunny and warm Saturday afternoon when we motored out of Broad Creek and into the Neuse. We motored in the direction of South River, being certain to give the engine plenty of time to warm up and 'break-in' our new heat riser. Then that glorious time occurred...the time when the engine is turned off and the boat is propelled along under sail alone. We relished the feel of moving through the wind and proceeded to sail just for the sake of sailing, no destination in mind.

In relatively light winds, we played with getting as close to the wind as possible, then turned and ran with sails spread wide. While off the wind, we heeded the advice of a physician who gave a presentation at last week's Safety at Sea Seminar. In his practice, he has found that the most common injury among cruisers is a head injury sustained during an accidental jibe. This doctor's primary tip for good health is to always use a preventer when running. In the photo above, you can see the preventer we have employed to keep the boom from crossing the centerline when we least expect it.

Throughout the afternoon, the winds built to a nice 15 knot breeze, and we practiced a tack here and a jibe there. On our return trip, we sailed as far into Broad Creek as the winds and winding channel would allow before we resorted to engine power again. The docking was smooth, except for the fact that one small misstep caused Sheryl to twist her ankle. She bravely tried to hide the resulting limp, but even Sheryl could not hide her rapidly swelling ankle.

Saturday night brought us together with John, Brent, Stefan, and Marita for a warm evening in the Whortonsville Yacht and Tractor Club 'cockpit.' It is always good to see friends, some whom we have not seen for many months. A good time was had by all.

Sunday was devoted to relaxation. The warm weather allowed us to spend hours reading and reclining in Prudence's cockpit. Other than a little light cleaning below, our only chores were preparing meals to enjoy al fresco. This is living!

Until next time, Dear Reader.

For a few sailing, cooking, and R&R photos, CLICK HERE
Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]