14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

Back to the Boatyard in Bridgeton

13 June 2007 | Bridgeton, NC
Doug Mayle
We have been checking with David at the boatyard in Bridgeton each morning to see when he can squeeze us into his busy schedule and fix our leaky thru-hull. Regular readers will remember that we discovered a leak this past weekend when we went sailing and subjected a thru-hull along the waterline to some significant water pressure for the first time since its installation.

Early this morning, we got the call and motored the short trip across the Neuse. I did a little better (this time) getting the stern of the boat around to line us up between the rails for the lift. As soon as we tied off, I grabbed my bike from the deck of the bow and rode it back across the bridge so that I could 'go to work' in our marina's common area/lounge. Sheryl took the responsibility for interacting with the boatyard for the day, in order to insure that we would be back in the water by the end of the day.

A quick drive back over the bridge for a lunch break revealed that the thru-hull had been re-bedded, and it was simply a matter of waiting for the sealant to cure before the boat could be placed back into the water. Sheryl indicated that she would be happy to continue the process of watching the proverbial paint dry, while I went back to work. When all was ready, she would give me a call, then drive the boat back by herself. I would be waiting on the dock to help bring her in softly and safely.

In the morning, we had struggled against 15 knot winds getting out of the slip. By the time Sheryl called in the afternoon to indicate that she was starting the engine, the winds were averaging 18, with gusts up to 22. I asked, "Are you sure you don't want me to come over and help you get back?" Sheryl indicated that she would be fine on her own. In fact, it sounded like this was going to be the high point in an otherwise relatively boring day.

I was waiting on the docks when I saw the top of the mast come through the bridge. Then, slowly and carefully, I saw Prudence with Sheryl at the helm, working their way toward the slip. I tried to tell if she was smiling behind those sunglasses, but she appeared to be all business. The concentration was palpable. On her first attempt to turn into the slip, she overshot just a bit, but expertly recovered, got the bow of the boat back through the wind and headed out to try the process from the top.

On the second attempt, the bow hit its mark, and the group of us gathered at the dock were able to grab lines and wrestle the boat into the slip (against the beam-on winds). Sheryl was jubilant, and I was incredibly proud. The female member of the couple on the boat in the next slip said, "My legs would be shaking for a week if I tried that. Although I wish I had the courage to try it."

Mission accomplished, and our 'thru-hole' is now successfully plugged. Knock on teak.

Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]