14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

It's Hot, but We Are Doing OK

09 August 2007 | New Bern, NC
Doug Mayle
Thanks to all of you who have expressed your concern about us during this heat wave. We appreciate all of the offers to provide us with an air conditioned environment. Several have proffered the loan of a small unit for our boat or have made invitations to visit their air conditioned homes. Your generosity and concern for our well being is heartwarming. We cannot express our gratitude with mere words.

For reasons I think we do not fully understand ourselves, we remain stalwart in the face of the oppressive weather. Perhaps it is because we made choices to pursue this lifestyle, and we wish to see it through in both the good and bad circumstances. Perhaps it is because we intend to go south to the Caribbean, and we want to 'get used' to these high temperatures. Or, perhaps, we are just stubborn. I suppose that the latter is the most likely explanation.

The pattern of heat and humidity has been consistent over the past several days and is best described by today's forecast...

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Thus, our routine has evolved to the following general pattern: We wake to a hazy morning, where the air is thick with moisture. We quickly boil some water for instant coffee before the heat of the day ramps up. Cold cereal accompanies our caffeine kick, before we settle down to work. We sit across from each other at our respective computers, each with a fan blowing directly on us to dry the perspiration and facilitate cooling. Lunchtime is usually a sandwich or other cold snack, after which I have been encouraging Sheryl to run errands. It is partly a magnanimous gesture, as she will be able to meander through commercial buildings with controlled climates. However, it is partially a selfish gesture, as I will then have the ability to point both fans on me as I work through the afternoon hours. At 5PM, I shut down my computer and emerge from the companionway to seek the late afternoon breeze. Dinner consists largely of salad, as neither of us wishes to add to the heat inside the boat. We sit in the cockpit until well after sunset, when the breeze has a tendency to die in the darkness. Again, we seek the mechanically motivated air of our fans as we attempt to make ourselves comfortable in the v-berth. Sleep does not always come easily in these 'sticky' conditions, but it does come eventually.

A low pressure system currently over the Midwest is forecast to move westward, dragging with it a cold front (like a dog dragging a trailing leash). This front should reach us on Saturday, bringing highs down to near 90 degrees and lows in the mid 70s. If we stick to our routine through today and tomorrow, we should make it to these relatively comfortable weekend conditions before we know it.

Again, thank you for keeping us in your thoughts, dear Reader.
Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]