14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

A Different State of Mind

29 August 2007 | Cape Lookout, NC
Doug Mayle
Four more sunsets have passed since our last entry, and our routine (developed last week) has held consistently through these past days. Although it doesn't make for exciting writing, this vacation has been exactly what we have needed. It has been us and Prudence, getting to know one another without outside support, for double-digit days. It has allowed us to truly enter the 'cruiser' state of mind (and polish off a sizable stack of paperbacks).

Cape Lookout Bight is shaped like a big circular bowl, about one nautical mile in diameter, and it has become our whole world. We have watched may boats come and go from our little lagoon. Some stay for the day, some stay for several (however, nobody has been here half as long as we have). If a boat enters with sails up and sails past our bow, Sheryl will snap a few photos. This has allowed the opportunity for a little bit of social interaction (since Sheryl collects their e-mail address in order to send them the photos), but otherwise we have mostly kept to ourselves.

While here we have seen days in the 'bowl' ranging from glass-still water to white caps on the wave tips. We have experienced days mostly filled with sunshine, with the exception of only a few scattered thunderstorms and a couple of steady rains, which seem to be isolated to hours of darkness. The conditions dictate our activities as much as our own predilections. Mother Nature helps set each day's agenda.

Some days have been nothing but reading and relaxing. Some have involved a moderate degree of boat chores. Such as cleaining the kayaks (with rainwater captured in the dinghy during an overnight downpour) or scraping any remaining growth off the bottom (which makes for a couple of interesting photos of the top of my head - see link below).

Today, we decided that it was time to make preparations to head 'back in.' We plan to pull up the anchor tomorrow afternoon and try to time our entry into Beaufort Inlet at low tide. Hopefully, we will find anchorage space in Town Creek, where we might be able to gain internet access and post the blog entries and photos from the trip thus far.

That has been the biggest challenge of being out here, the lack of internet access. Power has not been an issue (new solar panels are doing great). Neither has fresh water (we still have plenty without yet touching the jerry jugs on deck). Even the lack of refrigeration is really no big deal (we are eating just fine, as the delicious pizza we had for dinner tonight would attest). However, as we listen to NOAA and their all-to-brief description of the current weather systems (both tropical and extratropical), we long for more information (in addition to some visual representation of these systems).

So, assuming that the new alternator belt is up to its task, and we can get our 400 lbs of ground tackle back on the boat, the next entry should detail our trip back to civilization. Wish us luck, dear Reader.

CLICK HERE for photos

Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]