14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

Fluid Dynamics

20 September 2007 | New Bern, NC
Doug Mayle
Yes, dear Reader, I know that you are waiting anxiously for photos of white sandy beaches and gin clear water; however, hurricane season is still upon us and we still have things to do before we will be completely ready for departure. Therefore, please accept my apologies for yet another photo of boat components. Hopefully, soon, your patience will be rewarded.

This week has been all about management of fluids. Evenings have been dedicated to the following projects:
1) Rebuilding our manual fresh water foot pump in the galley: The service kit arrived this week and with four hands required for re-assembly, Sheryl and I put the pump back together with all new diaphragms, valves, and o-rings. The pump works and does not leak. I guess we can chalk that one up in the 'win' column.

2) Replacing the pressure water three-way valve: This valve allows us to switch between port and starboard water tanks. Just as we were getting ready to depart for Cape Lookout, this valve started leaking whenever we switched to the port tank. For our vacation, we simply used the manual pumps to draw from the port and pressure pump to draw from starboard. Now that we had the manual system back in order, we decided that it was time to replace this valve. Upon initial installation, one connection leaked slightly, but we re-assembled the fitting and the leak appears to have stopped. Make that two in the 'win' column.

3) Addressing the fuel system: Our mechanic, Roger, had time in his schedule this week to rebuild our fuel system. After my debacle earlier this summer (attempting to install a bypass system) it didn't take much convincing on his part to change our strategy to 'keep it simple.' Instead of making a more complicated bypass system, we simply had him replace all fuel hoses and fittings, move the shutoff valve to a more convenient spot (closer to the fuel filter), move the fuel pump to a more efficient location, and add in a vacuum gauge for monitoring the state of the filter. In Roger's experience, a small engine like ours sips such a small amount of fuel that we should be able to monitor the gauge and keep one step ahead of any potential clogged filter situations. Check one more box on our 'to have done' list.
Other items which arrived in boxes this week have set the stage for weekend boat projects. We purchased a Shortwave/SSB/Weather Fax Receiver (made by Si-Tex) which we hope will add to our weather information gathering capabilities. We also purchased an inverter in order to run the few items we still have left which require AC power (rather than operating directly off of the 12V DC batteries). Both of those items require installation effort. Hopefully, this weekend will be conducive to such projects.

Stay tuned, dear Reader, as the list of projects gets shorter and the anticipation of departure grows to a crescendo.
Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]