14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

All in the Same Boat

03 October 2007 | New Bern, NC
Doug Mayle
It is official! Everything we own is now on the boat. Our last major terrestrial possession was our car. I say 'our' rather loosely, because the Chrysler PT Cruiser has always been Sheryl's car. I had my own vehicle once upon a time, but sold it about 5 years ago because my job really didn't require that I have my own transportation.

Early last week we were invited to dinner at the home of Glen & Michelle in New Bern. Glen and Michelle have recently returned from cruising in the Caribbean aboard their 40-foot sailboat, Borealis. In addition to a fantastic dinner and some wonderful conversation, Glen treated us to an incredible surprise. He was interested in purchasing Sheryl's car. The negotiation was quite simple. Sheryl explained her asking price and then immediately dispensed with it and told Glen her bottom line. He was ready to write a check then and there.

Always wanting to be fair in any transaction, we recommended that he actually drive the car before committing to the purchase. Over the weekend, he took us up on the offer of a test drive and did not waver in his interest. Today, the paperwork was finalized and we no longer have the burden of automobile ownership.

"Wait," you may ask, "how will you get around, now that you have sold your car and your bicycles?" That, dear Reader, is the best part of this story. Being the wonderful guy (and empathetic cruiser) that he is, Glen agreed to allow us use of the car anytime we need it. This will make our final stages of preparation so much easier.

Recently, in an effort to stock the boat with provisions before our departure, Sheryl has been running errands nearly every day. From here forward our intention is to use the car sparingly over the next few weeks (only as necessary) and begin to experience the 'life of a cruiser.' Maybe we will even get back into walking on a semi-regular basis. We both have been a little lax on getting our exercise as of late.

The upcoming weekend will allow me four days away from work. Weather permitting, we will head to Whortonsville on Friday in order to enjoy time with friends and perhaps even participate in the annual Ocktoberfest 'Cruise to Nowhere.' Monday's Columbus day holiday may allow us time to stop by Fairfield Harbour to visit with some out-of-town (landlubber) friends before returning to the slip in New Bern.

Once we are back, I will post all of the events of the weekend. Until then, dear Reader.
Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]