14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

Thanksgiving with Canadians

22 November 2007 | Southpoint Anchorage, Stuart, FL
CURRENT LOCATION: Southpoint Anchorage, a mooring field in Stuart, FL
27 11.827' N, 080 15.652' W (CLICK HERE for Google Maps)

Sheryl and I have been fortunate enough to spend our last few Thanksgiving holidays in some pretty special places. In 2005, we spent the holiday on Ocracoke Island (having sailed there aboard Ashiya). In 2006, we were invited up to the 'big house' at the Whortonsville Yacht and Tractor Club for a celebration with friends hosted by Nick & Jeannette.

This year found us attending a cruiser's potluck Thanksgiving meal with a bunch of new faces. Despite the fact that there is some rust-streaked stainless steel which is calling for my attention and Sheryl could easily become occupied with still more laundry to wash, we declared a moratorium on chores for the day. Today would be devoted to 100% relaxation.

During the day, we each made significant progress in paperback novels, took showers as the mood struck us, and played on the computer. By early afternoon, I tossed together a simple dish to take to the potluck and we boarded Patience for the slow ride to the clubhouse.

Since we have arrived here, we haven't met too many people from other boats, except for the couple on the mooring next to ours. Steve & Karen, on Sea Echo, introduced themselves on the day of our arrival, and it was with them that we found ourselves chatting throughout much of the evening. Steve & Karen are from Nova Scotia, and the crowd which gathered around us were all from various regions of Canada. So it was quite interesting, on this US Holiday, to be one of the few representatives of our nation at the dinner table.

IMAGE NOT FOUND


Following a delicious meal, Sheryl and I took a walk along River Walk Park, a shoreside pier which winds along the St. Lucie River, then strolled through downtown Stuart. This is certainly a lovely little town. I have a lot to be thankful for, and being here and enjoying this with Sheryl is tops on that list.

Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]