14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

Waiting for a Northerly Wind

29 December 2007 | Black Point Settlement, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
CURRENT LOCATION: Anchored off of Black Point Settlement, Great Guana Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
24 06.098' N, 076 23.946' W (CLICK HERE for Google Maps)

From our current location, the next destination we hope to make is George Town, on Great Exuma Island. The guidebook tells us, "If you're new to George Town, you'll discover a whole new world of boat people with a lifestyle that has evolved over the years into a community with its own social events, recreational programs, a safety net of mutual assistance, and what almost amounts to a territorial stake on the beaches of Stocking Island." In fact, the number of cruisers spending the season in George Town can equate to about 30 percent of the native population of the entire Exuma chain. We are still uncertain how we will fit in, because the book goes on to state, "Almost unnoticed, the cruising boats inbound from the Caribbean, or on their way there, come and go."

Regardless, we are bound for 'GT.' First, though, we are waiting here in Black Point for a more favorable wind upon which to sail. The trip will likely take place over two days. The first will take us along the banks side of the Exuma chain, down toward Cave Cay Cut (about an 18 nautical mile jaunt). We will start the second day of the journey by crossing over to the sound side, where we will make 32 nautical mile hop down to Conch Cay Cut, enter Elizabeth Harbour, and seek an anchor spot amidst the 100+ boats already settled in there.

For both parts of the trip, a north wind would be ideal. Currently, the predominant easterly tradewinds are ever present, and the forecast is calling for more of the same. Therefore, here we sit, waiting for a cold front to make it this far south and give us the desired wind shift. In the meantime, we read, we swim, we walk the island. It is a good, simple, quiet life.
Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]