14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

A Restful Time in Luperon

29 January 2008 | Luperon, Dominican Republic
CURRENT LOCATION: Anchored in Bahia de Luperon, Dominican Republic

19 53.944' N, 070 57.086' W

It has all begun to catch up with us, dear Reader. Even though we have managed to accomplish a few chores (changed fuel filters and gathered fresh water), the pace of life aboard Prudence has slowed down a tick.

The anchorage here in Luperon harbor is nice and calm, our first calm anchorage since Black Point Settlement in the Exumas, and we have been taking advantage of the opportunity. The mornings are starting a little later each day, and time spent relaxing over a cup of coffee seems to linger until it is nearly lunchtime. Even by midday, our level of activity has not skyrocketed to any great extent. In fact, I may have even snuck in a nap or two over the past few days.

Of course, the slow and relaxed starts to our days may also be prompted by our late nights. Most nights we are doing something with someone, and it usually keeps us up past our normal 8PM bedtime. For example, Kenny & Kathy (in the lead photo, above) aboard s/v Mer Soleil had us over to their catamaran last night for a wonderful lobster dinner. The food and company were equally fantastic, and we rounded out the evening by showing them how to play Mexican train dominos. It was midnight before we puttered little Patience back to the big boat.

Some of our regular chores are made easier by the locals. The bakery here in Luperon makes such high quality, inexpensive items that doing our own baking aboard would be ridiculous. Besides, we could never match their superb coconut cookies (which we are now buying by the dozen). The cost of a meal out is also quite reasonable (although not as dirt cheap as some sources would have you believe), so we have occasionally saved the effort of preparing and cleaning up after our own meals by supporting local restaurants (not our normal MO, as you well know). Also, an enterprising fellow by the name of 'Handy Andy' can be hailed on the radio and will bring you anything you need, delivered right to your boat. Just yesterday we called him for diesel, and he pulled up along side Prudence with a boat containing a huge fuel tank with a pump on top and filled up our diesel stores. Simple as that (no jerry-jug lugging for us).

We have begun to look for weather windows to depart for points further east and south, but nothing promising yet appears on the horizon. Until then, we will continue to take this lying down (for the most part, quite literally). The time for rest and recuperation is warranted and will probably leave us in better stead to eventually face the 'Thorny Path' before us. Stay tuned, dear Reader, for the rested crew of Prudence is sure to be making exciting strides again very soon.
Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]