14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

Two Things You Cannot Put Off Too Long: Teak and Taxes

09 March 2008 | Dewey, Culebra, Puerto Rico
CURRENT LOCATION: Anchored in Ensenada Honda, off the town of Dewey, on the island of Culebra, Puerto Rico

18 18.245' N, 065 17.867' W

Sorry, dear Reader, but as you can see from the title of this one, it is not a tale of our exciting explorations around the island of Culebra. Oh, the photo of the waterspout? More on that later.

Today we focused our attention on some much needed but never enjoyable chores. I sat in the salon surrounded by paperwork, making the initial foray into doing our 2007 taxes while Sheryl worked on deck, applying two new coats of Semco to the teak.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

As morning became afternoon, Sheryl called from topside (in an all-too-calm voice), "Doug come up if you want to see a tornado." Needless to say, I rushed up the companionway. I found Sheryl looking out in the direction of the entrance to Ensenada Honda. My eyes followed her gaze, and there (stretching from the clouds to the water) was a well-formed waterspout.

We stood there, transfixed. My mind immediately began to consider any precautions to which we should be attending. Should we begin stripping canvas, secure items on deck, let out more anchor rode? Instead of acting, we simply stared. Over the course of a few minutes, we were able to determine the general direction of movement of the waterspout and (more importantly) to extrapolate that it was not going to enter the harbor. Whew!

After the excitement of several water spouts, forming at the edges of a HUGE squall which passed by without touching us, we each returned to our respective tasks for the day. There is not much else to report from here in Paradise, dear Reader. We simply hope that you all are staying warm and are looking forward to Spring (It's right around the corner).
Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]