14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

From the Beach to the Rainforest, Puerto Rico Has It All

17 March 2008 | Dewey, Culebra, Puerto Rico
CURRENT LOCATION: Anchored in Ensenada Honda, off the town of Dewey, on the island of Culebra, Puerto Rico

18 18.245' N, 065 17.867' W

Yesterday, we took Robert and Tammy to Flamenco Beach. It afforded a more laid-back approach than the previous day, involving only a walk to the beach followed by lots of time lounging on the sand. The most strenuous activity undertaken was body/body-board surfing. Robert and I alternately traded between my broken body board and surfing the waves sans equipment (each of which provides a very different wave-riding experience). The waves were a good size, enough to provide a decent ride without beating us up too much.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Dinner took place on the waterfront patio just outside of Robert and Tammy's hotel room, overlooking the twinkling anchor lights in the harbor. We enjoyed some good food, fine cigars, and a unique form of spirits known as Gasolina (sold only in Puerto Rico). Despite the rather toxic-sounding name, these adult beverages (served in a kiddie juice pouch, complete with straw) are quite tasty.

Today, we left the island of Culebra. No, Prudence remained at anchor in Ensenada Honda, where she has been planted for over two weeks now. In order to maximize the ease and efficiency of transport, we (once again) took the ferry to the big island. It was an early start to the day for all of us, boarding the ferry before the sun rose. However, this sacrifice of sleep maximized our time in the rain forest.

We parked our rental car and hiked a rough and rocky trail up to some wonderful vistas. The lush greenery was even more startling, relative to the amount of time we have spent on small islands with minimal greenery. Unfortunately, we saw few colorful birds and flowering plants; however, the gurgling sound of small waterfalls cascading over big rocks made up for the lack of visual variety.

A long day of hiking and a ferry-ride back in the darkness of night left our crew tired and ready for rest. Robert and Tammy would be up again before dawn to catch a tiny plane back to San Juan. There, they will enjoy a final day of vacation before returning to the States and all the responsibilities of work and family. We really enjoyed this chance to give them a break from their daily obligations and the opportunity to share a little of our own pursuit of paradise. Instead of goodbyes, we said, "Until next time," for they are bound to come for another visit. Perhaps they will find us still here in Culebra, or maybe further down island. Who knows, maybe next time we will even find time to take them for a sail aboard Prudence. Until then, we will cherish the memories and keep in touch via the magic of e-mail.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]