14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

Moving the Big Boat Back to Town

07 April 2008 | Dewey, Culebra, Puerto Rico
CURRENT LOCATION: Anchored in Ensenada Honda, just north of Cayo Pirata, Culebra, Puerto Rico

18 18.470' N, 065 17.846' W


Yesterday we did a bit of snorkeling out at the reef which fringes Dakity Harbor. The coral is not as good as we have found on the west side of Culebra, but the fish were colorful and abundant. We saw four big schools of fish, Blue Tang, White Margate, King Mackeral, and Bigeye Scad. The foot-long Bigeye Scad displayed an interesting behavior, they had a tendency to follow you around, everywhere you swam. Cute at first...

IMAGE NOT FOUND

...but as their numbers grew, it became a bit unnerving. Hundreds of fish eyes staring at you, while they mouthed a silent, "Woo-Woo-Woo." Perhaps they, too, read our blog and are the first in a growing legion of fish fans?

This morning, we decided to move the big boat back to Ensenada Honda. We have an invite to dinner aboard Snark tonight with Dan & Kimber. The ride across the harbor will be a bit easier than the long ride out to the mooring ball in Dakity. In addition, Sheryl is planning to make a trip to Fajardo tomorrow with D from Southern Cross. Meanwhile, I will stay with Prudence and make certain that she and her anchor behave.

Our new location puts us a little bit further from town (Dewey) than our last anchor spot, but we only had to let out enough scope for 14-feet of water (rather than the 25-feet found at our previous anchor location). In addition, we are close to several mooring balls, which we plan to watch and possibly grab one when it becomes available.

The map below shows our current anchor position, near Cayo Pirata. You can also copy & paste our coordinates into Google Maps or, better yet, Google Earth (the download is free), for a view of our surroundings.

And, yes, dear Reader, the little planes do take off right over our heads.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]