14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

Reflections on a Perfect Sunday in Paradise

21 April 2008 | Dewey, Culebra, Puerto Rico
CURRENT LOCATION: Tied to a mooring ball near Cayo Pirata, in Ensenada Honda, Culebra, Puerto Rico

18 18.400' N, 065 17.842' W


It seems that my morning routine, of late, generally includes taking a few moments to reflect upon the previous day. It is both a joy to live this life and to share it with you, dear Reader. And, if I am not mistaken, today is Monday morning (Please don't hate me for being uncertain on that point, as I know that many reading this blog are all-too-well aware that it is Monday morning, the start of yet another work-week).

Our Sunday started with a breakfast gathering at Mamacita's. Jan joined us, and from last week we had Les and David & Sue in attendance. This week, we were introduced to Pam & Chuck. They own a house up on the hill looking out toward Dakity Harbor. Since they have been living here for 5 years (and owned their house here on the island even before that), they were a great source of local information. Sunday breakfast time is certainly helping us to feel a bit more knowledgeable about our home-for-now, Culebra. It is also a great opportunity to get to know our neighbors.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

In the afternoon, we decided to work off that wonderful breakfast with a kayak trip out to Mosquito Bay. The winds were reasonably calm, making the sojourn outside Ensenada Honda a simple affair.

After tying to a mooring ball in Mosquito Bay to do a little swimming and beach combing, we paddled around the point, Punta Vaca, and artfully (or luckily) navigated through the breakers across the shallow reef (one has to be careful over shallow coral when sitting in an inflatable kayak).

IMAGE NOT FOUND

The shallows (about 3-4 feet) in this little cove inside the reef were composed of a sandy bottom, crystal clear water, and sprinkled with coral. Unfortunately, though, we had only brought along a single pair of goggles and no snorkel gear. Sheryl snagged a few underwater pics, but we will have to wait for a subsequent visit to do the place justice.

NOAA weather forecasts are calling for light winds and small seas this week, so we are preparing for a trip out to Culebrita with the big boat. Have patience, dear Reader, if you don't hear from us for a few days (or weeks). We will be taking a 'vacation' from the conveniences of town and the internet, but rest assured that you can read all about it upon our return.
Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]