14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

Sheryl the Librarian and Why Short Hair is Better

11 May 2008 | Dewey, Culebra, Puerto Rico
CURRENT LOCATION: Tied to a mooring ball near Cayo Pirata, in Ensenada Honda, Culebra, Puerto Rico

18 18.400' N, 065 17.842' W

The days of the week pass by with such fluidity that it makes distinguishing one from the next nearly impossible. However, today, we landed on our weekly milestone of Sunday breakfast at Mamacita's, indicating that another week in Paradise has passed.

In addition to the usual breakfast gang, we also met a group from Washington DC, here on vacation. After our breakfast crew had departed, we hung around and talked to Anne Marie, Jeff, Kristie, and Heather (pictured left to right, below) until most of our Sunday morning had been whiled away. That is the great thing about this lifestyle. You are constantly meeting new people and there is always plenty of time to talk.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Prior to our Sunday outing, Sheryl finally did pry me away from the boat during the latter portion of the week (she even managed to get me into a pair of shoes on one occasion). I accompanied her to the library, where she was filling in for one of the regular librarians who had to make an unexpected trip to the big island of Puerto Rico. While she counted books and reviewed checkout records, I spent the time reading and checking out the titles available in our local library, then I went for a little walk. Since I have not done much walking in the past week, I suppose I should not have been surprised by how weak my legs felt. Yet I was. I suppose I need to make more of an effort to go to land and strive for a challenging walk at least a couple of times a week. The hills around here should make that an easy-to-accomplish goal.

We also took the kayaks over to the near west side of the island in what I believe is going to wind up being our Favorite snorkeling spot on the island. The coral between Punta Melones and Punta Tamarindo Chico is in good shape and is just the right depth for one who is breathing through a tube. In addition, the fish are plentiful and varied. Winds over the last few days have stirred up the sand a little bit, but this area is generally well protected from breaking swell. The hours in our underwater world melt away quickly, and I am certain that we will get to know our Favorite snorkeling stretch very well by the end of the summer.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Although I generally decline to join her, Sheryl has been making daily late afternoon forays out to collect sea glass. Her favorite spot, which we have dubbed, "Sea Glass Beach" is a rocky stretch which is accessed by going through the canal and to the right (just past the ferry dock). It is not really my idea of a beach (which for me has come to mean clear-blue tinted water and soft white sand). Therefore, I generally stay on the boat when the time for sea glass hunting is at hand.

On a final note for this update, Sheryl came back from her outing to Sea Glass Beach the other day with most of her hair missing. It is the first time she has gotten a haircut in 6 months, and the change is quite noticeable (as you can tell by comparing the photo below to the lead photo taken in the library just the day before).

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Not only does the haircut enhance Sheryl's natural beauty, but as she is quick to point out, "Short hair saves water." And, I for one think that saving water is sexy. Wouldn't you agree, dear Reader?
Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]