14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

Doug Mayle, Weather Correspondent

06 June 2008 | Dewey, Culebra, Puerto Rico
CURRENT LOCATION: Tied to a mooring ball near Cayo Pirata, in Ensenada Honda, Culebra, Puerto Rico

18 18.400' N, 065 17.842' W

Part of my morning routine is to check the weather, especially now that hurricane season is here. In addition to NOAA's website, one of the sites I often visit just to get a feeling for the situation from a 'man-on-the-street' perspective is storm CARIB (http://stormcarib.com/).

Since my morning routine involves a general weather check anyway, I thought I might contribute to the storm CARIB site by becoming one of their 'special hurricane correspondents.' As the title implies, the utility of this position becomes most valuable in severe weather circumstances (however, contrary to the title, nothing special is required to become a correspondent). The purpose of the on-island correspondents is to provide a perspective which is not available from the general media. It is a look-out-your-window type of weather report and, as such, has a much more personal feel.

If you CLICK HERE to go to storm CARIB, you will see the list of Caribbean islands where correspondents have recently submitted reports (along the right-hand side of the website). From the example set by other 'special hurricane correspondents,' it seems that postings are not restricted to severe weather circumstances. In fact, it seems that some don't even limit their postings to weather related content. I plan to post fairly regularly, and restrict my content to general weather updates (as viewed over my morning cup of coffee, across the waters of Ensenada Honda). If you would like to see my first posting, check out the Culebra (PR) link on the right-hand side of the storm CARIB website.

Of course, this doesn't prevent weather content from making its way into our blog. Weather is such a central part of our lives I just cannot help but relate that in my blog postings. However, for those of you looking for a regular window into the morning weather here on Prudence, you have a new website to bookmark.





Site Meter



Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]