14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

Finally Feeling Safe from BERTHA

08 July 2008 | Dewey, Culebra, Puerto Rico
CURRENT LOCATION: Anchored in Ensenada Honda
18 18.318' N, 065 18.008' W

BERTHA skipped Category 2 status and went right to 3. At this time, sustained winds are exceeding 100 knots! Physics tells us that the force of those winds are over 16 times more powerful than the very windy 25-knot days we have experienced on occasion here in the harbor. In actuality, I simply cannot imagine the force of such winds. It is a good thing that we are 700 nautical miles away from the center of this action.

At present, the impact of Bertha upon us here in Culebra is forecast to be limited to a little rain and some lingering northeast swell. All models are now directing her safely away from us, to our north and east, even the recalcitrant UKMET.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

This process of following Bertha since she started as a strong tropical wave off the coast of Africa has definitely been a learning experience. Call it a mental exercise or trial run, if you will. Sheryl and I have reviewed our plans and preps for this precarious time of year, discussing everything from when to take down the dodger to the notion of moving the boat back to Salinas for the summer. We've played the infinite what-if game and believe that we know what to do for a variety of storm contingencies. So, with one eye always on the weather situation, we will continue along with our daily lives here in Paradise (with fingers crossed).

In closing, yesterday marked the occasion of my presence on this planet for four decades. That is right, the big four-zero. Therefore, I would like to thank all of you who e-mailed to send your best wishes. A special thank you to friends who wished me a Happy Birthday, NOT Bertha day! The levity was both inspired and much appreciated, and I am glad to say that I complied completely.




Site Meter



Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]