14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

Divide and Caretake

14 August 2008 | Culebra, Puerto Rico
CURRENT LOCATION: Anchored in Ensenada Honda, near town on Culebra
18 18.326' N, 065 17.979' W And... Housesitting on the island of Culebra

Take a look at the lead photo. If you saw this satellite image of a tropical wave (carrying Invest 92L) on the verge of becoming a tropical depression barreling down on your position, wouldn't you be on your boat?

Well, I would. And, I am. Sheryl and I decided to 'divide and conquer', or in this case 'divide and caretake', in order to address our dual responsibilities to the boat we call home and the house we are watching for friends.

Tonight I will spend my first overnight alone on Prudence. Sheryl experienced several of these occasions last year when I was still working and traveling. The option of locations was one of practicality. Should it need to be raised, our chain and anchor are a little bit more manageable for me. And, Sheryl is better at taking care of the domestic pet responsibilities required at the house.

Sheryl has the main responsibility for feeding the two dogs and two cats which guard the grounds of the house. She is greeted by eight hungry eyes each morning as soon as the sun rises above the horizon.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Then, of course, there are the residents of the coy pond, including what we think is a bufo toad. The fish get fed each morning as well, but the toxic toad must fend for himself.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

The last two days in paradise have been a nice mixture of work and play. Yesterday, Sheryl and I went to Abbie's School (Sheryl's first visit), where we worked on the construction of a sign for my classroom. The afternoon found us lounging in the pool at the house. The golden retriever lived up to her moniker and repeatedly fetched a rubber toy which I tossed across the pool. Even this turned into work, as I eventually had to skim the dog hair out of the pool before we put the cover back on. No problem, though, as I am an expert at mixing work and pleasure. I spent a long afternoon scrubbing the bottom of the pool with a long-handled brush. A little scrubbing, a little swimming, a little fetch with the dog, and maybe even a little rum and diet coke. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon, I must say.

Today, I was back at Abbie's School, hanging my sign (to be revealed in a future posting) and printing off some handouts for the first day of school next week. Meanwhile, Sheryl did her regular Thursday shift at the library. We drove back to the house, put a second (sturdier) cover on the pool and enjoyed dinner together. Then I decided that it would be best for me to spend the night on the boat. Our sorrow at having to part for the evening was immeasurable. We don't like to be apart.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

So, here I am. And wouldn't you know it, it is flat calm and there is no rain. It seems like I am not alone. Reports from other Caribbean islands on Storm Carib suggest similar conditions. Check out recent postings from Tortola, Nevis, St. Barts, and Antigua.

I may lend another post to the site as soon as there is something interesting to report. For now, I am simply trying to keep the mosquitoes out of the boat as we float on the mirror-calm water of Ensenada Honda.

I suppose that while I wait I can sit back and enjoy one of the DVDs I borrowed from the house. What will it be, 'Shaft' or 'The World is Not Enough'? Perhaps both, if the battery power on board can support a double feature tonight.

Stay tuned to Storm Carib for Culebra weather updates and rest assured that if anything really interesting transpires overnight, you will hear all about it in the morning. Sweet dreams to my lovely wife and all the rest of the readers tuning in tonight.





Site Meter



Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]