14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

Home Sweet Floating Home

18 August 2008 | Culebra, Puerto Rico
CURRENT LOCATION: Anchored in Ensenada Honda, near town on Culebra
18 18.326' N, 065 17.979' W

Both Sheryl and I are back aboard Prudence. The home owners' usual live-in caretakers returned to the island today and they will take over our 'housesitting' responsibilities and see to the care of the pets.

This morning we packed up our stuff and cleaned up any of the rooms we had utilized during our stay. Then we took the truck on one last trip to town. After returning our belongings to the boat, we drove back to the house to drop off the truck. We enjoyed a last meal of leftovers (courtesy of the wonderful inventions: refrigeration and microwave oven) and a tall glass of soda with extra ice.

Our transportation from house back to boat was to be our kayaks. We had to carry them down the long hill to the beach, but since they had been rinsed free of salt and dried in the sun to drive off any residual moisture the weight was not too bad. Sheryl and I were each able to carry our own kayak down the hill without assistance. Once in the water, the trip from Mosquito Bay to Ensenada Honda was mostly downwind and relatively simple.

We have been on the boat for only a few hours now, and Sheryl is already missing the presence of pets. In fact, just a few moments ago she asked me, "Doug, would you do me a favor?" I responded, "Of course, what can I do for you?" Her reply, "Every so often, could you let out a loud round of barking?" Although I tried to comply, she sighed and said that it just wasn't the same.

As for me, I suppose I am going to have to adjust, once again, to warm soda and downloaded TV programs played on a tiny laptop screen. However, as I step out into the breezy tradewinds in the shade of the cockpit, smelling salt air and hearing the waves lap at the hull, I realize that (just now) I wouldn't want to be living any other way.





Site Meter



Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]