14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

In Search of Colorful Fish and Colorful Sea Glass

25 October 2008 | Culebra, Puerto Rico
CURRENT LOCATION: On a mooring ball near the reef in Ensenada Dakity
18 17.591' N, 065 16.791' W

Yes, once again, it has been too long since the last time we made a visit with the fishes. After a failed attempt this morning to remove some scale and oxidation from our dark green hull, I was less than enthusiastic about tackling any additional chores. Instead, I expressed a desire to go snorkeling. There are some fish to be seen only a few yards off the front of the boat.

Sheryl countered with a suggestion to kayak over to the New Sea Glass Beach. I could visit with the fishes there while she spent some time collecting more sea glass. People often ask Sheryl, "What do you do with all of that sea glass?" Well, the first of her sea glass projects is already underway. Sheryl has been creating tiny bottles of Culebra Sea Glass. She carefully places glass of a particular color and size into each bottle to create a specific rainbow of color. The bottle is sealed with a cork and completed with a decorative Turk's Head knot (representing one of Sheryl's special nautical skills).

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Initially, I was quite excited about my role in this project. Friends were sending tiny liquor bottles (still containing liquor) to us as the raw material for this sea glass art project, and I stepped up to do the initial prep work...

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Unfortunately (from my perspective), Sheryl found a local source of tiny bottles which put an end to my active participation in the project. She has currently cleaned out the local market's supply of tiny bottles of olive oil.

Today's visit with the fishes in a new snorkeling spot yielded the normal cast of characters. Of note, though, there were some exceptionally large schools of Surgeonfish, Doctorfish, and Blue Tang. In an effort to bring you the experience of swimming with these schools, I actually took the camera out into the water myself and created the following video.

CLICK HERE to swim with a school of fish.

Sheryl eventually joined me in the water and got some truly professional quality photos.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE NOT FOUND





Site Meter



Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]