14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

A Lazy Day

09 May 2005 | Turneffe Islands, Belize
Waking up with a hangover on a rocking boat is not such a grand experience. In was our intension to head east to an area which is a well renown for its fabulous diving, Lighthouse Reef. Although we are not divers, we thought that it would be a great place for snorkeling. The weather report, though was not promising. In order to get to Lighthouse Reef, we would have to head dead into the wind. I had read enough to know that a sailboat cannot go directly into the wind, but must beat to windward. The captain decided that we should wait a day to see if the weather improves. Therefore, we spent the day relaxing. I had brought a fair amount of reading material, but had few moments of time to read with all of our sailing and exploring activities. Each person staked out their place for relaxation. Stephanie and Sheryl made comfortable nests with the cushions in the cockpit. Bruno rigged up his spinnaker pole and slung a hammock. As for me, I had purchased a simple inflatable raft for just such an occasion. I tied a rope around a cleat on the boat's stern and looped the other end around my foot. I spent hours relaxing with the bobbing of the waves, cooling myself from the hot sun with a simple splash of the arms. This is what I had expected. Nothing to do and plenty of time to do it.

Thoroughly rested and relaxed, I volunteered to make dinner. We had some mangos on board which were a little past their prime. I easily turned them into a sauce, with tomatoes, onion, a little bit of marmalade, and a dash of rum. I served this sweet sauce over rice with a side of jalapeno spiced black beans, for a spicy contrast. This improvised little meal was a big hit. We enjoyed dinner and sundowners and played cards until bedtime.
Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]