14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

De-naming Ceremony

18 September 2005 | Whortonsville, NC
Doug Mayle
Stefan, in the neighboring slip, is always engaged in some project or another on his boat. This day found him making adjustments in a removable stay which will convert his boat into a cutter rig. Bob and Joey assist by keeping him safely aloft.

Since we had removed the name off of the transom, Stefan indicated that we really needed to perform the appropriate ceremony so as to appease the gods of the sea. Fortunately, there was a bit of champagne left over from last night's celebration to facilitate the deed.

Once we got him back down to the dock, Stefan provided me with the appropriate text. We gathered all available bodies, with drinks in hand as I read,
"In the name of all who have sailed aboard this ship in the past, and in the name of all who may sail aboard her in the future, we invoke the ancient gods of the wind and the sea to favor us with their blessing today.

Mighty Neptune, king of all that moves in or on the waves; and mighty Aeolus (pronounced EE-oh-lus), guardian of the winds and all that blows before them:

We offer you our thanks for the protection you have afforded this vessel in the past. We voice our gratitude that she has always found shelter from tempest and storm and enjoyed safe passage to port.

Now, wherefore, we submit this supplication, that the name whereby this vessel has hitherto been known Mini Me, be struck and removed from your records.

Further, we ask that when she is again presented for blessing with another name, she shall be recognized and shall be accorded once again the selfsame privileges she previously enjoyed.

In return for which, we rededicate this vessel to your domain in full knowledge that she shall be subject as always to the immutable laws of the gods of the wind and the sea.

In consequence whereof, and in good faith, we seal this pact with a libation offered according to the hallowed ritual of the sea."


Sheryl sealed the deal with a spash of flat champagne on the blank transom. Cheers all around.

Since Sheryl and I were dock-locked by lack of a functional engine and no boom, we asked to borrow Bob and Tammy's dinghy and explore up Brown Creek. It was a nice way to spend a few hours away from the dock. Sheryl has no hesitation about taking the dinghy to maximum speed. Bob and Tammy were so kind to provide us this little bit of time on the water.

Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]