14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

Weather Checks

14 November 2008 | Culebra, Puerto Rico
CURRENT LOCATION: Anchored in Ensenada Honda, near town on Culebra
18 18.301' N, 065 18.007' W

With all the recent activity signaling the start of the sailing season, one might think that hurricane season is behind us. We wish that were the case, alas it is not. Just last week, hurricane Paloma charged across the Caribbean Sea and reached category 4 status before crashing into Cuba.

So, we continue with our thrice daily checks of the National Hurricane Center (NHC) website. Our 8PM check last night resulted in a bit of a surprise. A system of interest, Invest 95L, was sitting directly to our northeast. Even more alarming, it was orange.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

The orange color-coding indicates up to a 50% chance of development into a tropical cyclone. Sitting to my left, Sheryl said, "This is why we are not here," pointing her finger at a random spot further down the island chain. With the fantastic anchor-holding bottom and relative protection of Ensenada Honda, we wouldn't want to ride out the potentially squally weather to come anywhere else. Conditions in the harbor were calm as we went to bed, as though the system were gathering energy from its surroundings.

Winds have picked up here and woke me in the middle of the night. Since it was time for an NHC update, I thought I would do a bleary-eyed weather check. I was pleased to see that the 1AM update showed the system of interest down to a yellow circle, with less organization than was seen several hours previously.

In these wee hours of the morning, scattered squalls batter us about here in the anchorage; however, radar images show that the bulk of the weather remains to our north.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

I suppose, on some levels, this beats watching weather reports for 'frost advisories' or 'snowfall expected' (my mother, in Indiana, has already experienced some of the white stuff this year); however, I hope to be looking at this squally-storm-producing-could-become-a-cyclone system in the proverbial rear view mirror when I really wake up a few short hours from now.




Site Meter



Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]