14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

Back to the Real World

06 November 2005 | Durham, NC
Doug Mayle
Technology sucks. Sheryl and I returned home only to find that my work laptop had gone south in an entirely different manner during our absence. It would display only a colorful pattern of vertical stripes on the screen. We do have an older home PC which was still operational, but on Sunday morning the connection to the internet decided to stop functioning.

The cable guy arrived later that afternoon to fix the problem, and when he inquired about the unit, Sheryl pointed in the direction of our cable modem box. He asked about the TVs we had connected to the cable, and I replied that we have no cable TV, just the high-speed internet. He blinked a few times, looked at me blankly as though I had just spoken a different language, shrugged, and turned his attention to the modem. Fortunately, he was able to promptly fix the problem.

Other than the technological difficulties, the return home has been uneventful. It is nice to arrive home from vacation on a Saturday night and be able to have Sunday to acclimate to the real world before having to go to work on Monday. Our very stationary bed here in Durham was swaying for both of us last night, and our bodies are still responding to a daylight -driven circadian rythm (up with the sun, asleep soon after it becomes dark). We caught up on laundry, restocked the fridge with food, and Sheryl got started on her photos.

Even though all here is good, the weather mild, and the leaves on the trees a beautiful kaleidoscope of fall colors, we long to be down island for an extended period of time. We want to live on a boat. Right now, five years seems like an eternity.
Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]