14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

Sailing to Petite St. Vincent

01 November 2005 | Petite St. Vincent, SVG
Doug Mayle
Once again we were up with the sun. Please note that Sheryl is beautiful from sunup to sundown, and all points between. After a quick breakfast of some type of sweet bread and coffee, we went snorkeling at Horseshoe Reef. Among the beautiful coral we saw many schools of colorful fish, parrot fish, and a lobster.

We returned to the boat for class and discussed topics like navigation rules, safety requirements, and points of sail. After class, Mandy returned with ice and indicated that some guys would be by shortly with our fish. Mandy's colleagues came around shortly thereafter and we decided to purchase a large yellow snapper and a smaller red snapper (sufficient to feed four). We also asked them to clean them for us, so that I could learn the appropriate procedure. He boarded the swim platform of the Beneteau and proceeded to use a fork to strip off the scales of each fish and used the rather dull knife we had available to remove the fins. It should be noted that Sheryl (a devout vegetarian) took photos of this less than savory procedure. He gutted each fish and we placed them in foil and tossed them in the ice box for dinner that night.

As we set sail (11:00), it was apparent that the wind was up; therefore, we started with a double reef in the main. The trip afforded a lot of practice tacking. This day also marked our opportunity to navigate through a gap between Punaise and Mopion, two shifting sand banks which are the visible markers for a 300 meter opening between shoals. We navigated this gap by sighting the sand banks and aligning our boat with a rum line which we could sight with a hand-held compass to a peak on Petite Martinique.

Before we went in, Frank took a moment to demonstrate the man overboard and heaving to maneuvers. He indicated that we would have to do
these in order to pass our certifications.

As we prepared to drop anchor off Petite St. Vincent (15:30), a very strong squall came up on us and Sheryl and I on the bow were pelted by heavy rains. The strong winds prevented us from getting the anchor to grab (as it kept dragging until we were too shallow). We pulled up the anchor and tried again when the storm had passed. After a quick swim, we went ashore to the Petite St. Vincent Resort and enjoyed a couple of martinis and planters punch.

Back on the boat, after a wonderful dinner of grilled fresh fish and rice, I went swimming and showed the effect of bio-luminescence in the water. Steve and Angelina had never seen the "sparks in the water" before.
Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]