14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

In Search of a Jogging Route

27 January 2009 | Jolly Harbour, Antigua
CURRENT LOCATION: Anchored in Mosquito Cove, just outside Jolly Harbour in Antigua
17 04.579' N, 061 53.613' W

It has been a few years since Sheryl and I included running in our exercise regimen. Instead, we've been focusing on walking long distances. We had determined that being able to cover long distances on foot (burdened with backpacks, etc.) would serve us well. It has.

Here in Jolly Harbour, though, going for a long walk means traveling out of the local complex (of waterfront homes, shops, and restaurants) and along a narrow busy road, Valley Road. The other day, we tried a loop which took us through the residential neighborhoods of Bolans Village and Jennings. We frequently stood off in the weeds as cars zipped by on the road. Not among the most enjoyable ways to go out and stretch one's legs.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

So, today we set out with a different goal in mind. We would stay inside the Jolly Harbour complex and try jogging to get sufficient exercise in this shorter distance. We jogged out to a point on the south side of our anchorage and back (a total distance of about 3 miles).

IMAGE NOT FOUND

At the halfway point of this out-and-back route a hill rises sharply to make a nice loop with spectacular views (Reeds Point). Of course, we stopped to catch our breath and snap a photo of our anchorage.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

This jogging route could make for a nice afternoon distraction for the next few days. We like the anchorage here, and are constantly stunned with the beauty of the waters surrounding us. Presently, we are content in this little corner of the island, and have no desire to explore other Antiguan anchorages. Perhaps that will change over time. Until then, we will enjoy our internet access in the mornings and exercise in the afternoons.

After our jog, we were joined by Jim & Anne, from s/v Bees Knees, aboard our boat for sundowners. Like us, Bees Knees sailed south from North Carolina at the end of 2007. They made it all the way to Venezuela for hurricane season, and are now in the process of repeating the Leeward and Windward islands at a slightly more leisurely pace. We have crossed paths with Jim & Anne several times over the last two years, but have never had them aboard. It was nice to finally get the chance to know this couple a little better.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Socialization with others who have common experiences is becoming less frequent as of late. Here 'down island' we encounter boats coming from a much wider variety of countries and everyone has a unique itinerary, heading different directions at a different pace. It is not like the ICW or 'thorny path' at the height of the season, where all boats are going the same direction and you encounter the same folks in different anchorages time after time.





Site Meter



Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]