14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

Opening and Closing Hatches

12 February 2009 | Jolly Harbour, Antigua
CURRENT LOCATION: Anchored in Mosquito Cove, just outside Jolly Harbour in Antigua
17 04.612' N, 061 53.679' W

I often wonder how this experience will stand out in my memories several years from now. I can imagine a casual conversation at some dinner party in the future, where someone will ask, "So, what did you do with all that free time in the Caribbean?" They will be expecting tales of excitement from offshore passages, snorkeling encounters with all manner of incredible creatures, and endless hours of beachcombing. I know that they will be disappointed at my response, for the image which will immediately come to mind will inspire me to reply, "I opened and closed hatches."

That has been the epicenter of our existence over the past few days, as some squally weather has moved across Antigua. We have remained on the boat while a constant stream of rain showers has marched over us, the rain lasts for several minutes then halts to allow the sun to peak through and warm up the boat enough to force us to open the hatches in order to provide air movement below. As soon as we are seated, enjoying the fresh breeze, raindrops begin (again) to sprinkle down upon our living quarters. This cycle has repeated itself more times over the past two days than I can count.

The winds have been fierce, as well. Often blowing at better than 30 knots, it has kept us on the boat for the better part of this week. Trips to land would have been accompanied by a good saltwater soaking, and there was nothing much we needed that could encourage us to beat through the chop. Instead, we read, watched movies, and (of course) opened and closed hatches.

Just to let you know that the views out our portlights are not always a postcard event:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

But even rain brings its own kind of natural beauty:

IMAGE NOT FOUND


We look forward to an easing of the winds this weekend (and, hopefully, the rains as well), as we are considering moving further south. Of course, only time will eventually make this consideration a reality, so stay tuned.

TECHNICAL NOTE: Our internet booster appears to have given up on us for good. Therefore, our internet access from here forward is bound to be sporadic and quite limited. Please forgive any delays in e-mail responses and what may turn out to be less-than-frequent blog postings.






Site Meter




Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]