Greenland and beyond

14 September 2012
14 September 2012 | Lagos, Portugal
12 September 2012
10 September 2012
04 September 2012 | Horta, Faial
31 August 2012 | Horta
25 August 2012
22 August 2012
20 August 2012
16 August 2012 | Nanortalik, E Greenland
15 August 2012 | East Greenland
15 August 2012 | East Greenland
15 August 2012 | Greenland
06 August 2012
04 August 2012 | 64.20319
02 August 2012 | East Greenland
31 July 2012 | Reykjavik
30 July 2012 | Reykjavik
26 July 2012 | Reykjavik
23 July 2012 | Vestmannaeyjar

Graffiti

04 September 2012 | Horta, Faial
Nigel Davison
With a tear in the eye, we waved goodbye to Tom, as he left the Azores for his return to the UK and the end of his first sailing adventure! We wish him and Jocelyn a happy reunion, and don't worry Jos, only 637 more slides to go!

As we waited for the return of Pete for the final leg to Portugal, we decided to tour the island by scooter - there was a volcano to climb and several beaches to explore. The scooter rental guy took one look at us, and decided we needed to have the large scooters to get us up the hills - but he didn't charge for the upgrade!

We figured that it was worth asking for directions - local knowledge is usually a good thing. Soon after, we came around a bend in the track and right into the middle of an exclusion area where a wind turbine was having it's rotors fitted. "Had we not seen the road sign?"

Once the foreman calmed down a little, we again asked for directions to the top of the volcano. "Take a left then a right in the clearing - it will be the best way" he told us, and again we trusted local knowledge. As we turned up the hill on what can only be described as a dirt track, we crossed a cattle grid, and were soon confronted by a group of the largest and most aggressive cows we had ever met - they clearly believed that it was their road we were using, and none shall pass without a password. Good job we had the 125cc scooters! We eventually reached the top of the volcano, which was shrouded in cloud. It was cold and wet, and we could see nothing - a bit like sailing really?

Pete arrived on Sunday night, and we met him in the bar with a cold beer, then off to the nearest restaurant for a juicy steak. Moo to you too!

It is tradition that yachts leaving Horta make a painting on the quayside, to bring them good fortune and a safe journey. Out of respect for this tradition (or maybe fear of upsetting the sea gods) we duly prepared our artwork, entitled "Greenland and Beyond" (see photo). If anyone ever visits Horta, and you should, you will find it if you align the red light on the end of the south pier with berth number B32, and look down. You need these directions, as there are literally thousands of paintings adorning every square inch of the pavement and walls - legalised graffiti on a mammoth scale!

We will leave Horta this afternoon bound for Lagos in Portugal - hopefully we will have fair winds and make the passage in 10 days or so.
Comments
Vessel Name: Astrid
Vessel Make/Model: Custom built 32ft canoe stern built in diagonally glued mahogany. Built in Sletten, Denmark, 1990.
Hailing Port: Sunderland
Crew: Anders Thomsen, Nigel Davison, Pete Sinkinson, Tom Maxfield

S/V Astrid

Who: Anders Thomsen, Nigel Davison, Pete Sinkinson, Tom Maxfield
Port: Sunderland