Greenland and beyond

14 September 2012
14 September 2012 | Lagos, Portugal
12 September 2012
10 September 2012
04 September 2012 | Horta, Faial
31 August 2012 | Horta
25 August 2012
22 August 2012
20 August 2012
16 August 2012 | Nanortalik, E Greenland
15 August 2012 | East Greenland
15 August 2012 | East Greenland
15 August 2012 | Greenland
06 August 2012
04 August 2012 | 64.20319
02 August 2012 | East Greenland
31 July 2012 | Reykjavik
30 July 2012 | Reykjavik
26 July 2012 | Reykjavik
23 July 2012 | Vestmannaeyjar

Journey's End

14 September 2012 | Lagos, Portugal
Mother Nature must have sensed that we were simply having too good a time and becoming complacent about completing this 1000 mile crossing and She decided to dish out a good scolding. We had strong winds and vicious waves for around 24 hours, and spent Wednesday night wondering when the next wave would break and give us another cold shower. In short, we took a good lashing! I guess that served as a reminder that it ain't over until the lines are tied on the dock.

By sunrise on Thursday, the weather was starting to abate and we began the process of drying out, getting out of wet gear and into dry clothes and cleaning the salt from our whiskers. It was then time to do the daily mileage calculation, and we had covered 147 miles and were closing fast on Lagos - we would be there by early afternoon, a day and a half earlier than expected.

It was a great feeling to be closing on our destination and the end of the journey from The Azores, but it was also a time for reflection as this was the end of our Greenland And Beyond adventure, and 2 ½ months of sailing.

And so it is time to start winding up this blog, but first there are a few 'thank you's' to make:

To the crew of Astrid, for putting up with each other in such close conditions, and maintaining a sense of humour and respect for one another throughout.

To all of our loved ones who have been neglected for the past 18 months during the planning, preparation and execution of this selfish indulgence- we will make up for it, promise!

To our friends and colleagues for their support, and the interest they have shown in the project.

To Mr. Jens Fisker, for specifying Astrid to such a high standard, resulting in a most practical, seaworthy craft - She has served us well and kept us safe throughout.

To The Lord above, for creating an amazing world full of natural wonders, and for gifting us with the curiosity to want to explore it.

And finally to Anders, for having the crazy idea of following his Viking forefathers to Greenland in a little wooden sailing boat, and for inviting us to join him.

Thank you to all those who have read this blog, and given feedback, support and encouragement - this has been really appreciated by all of us. We have had a truly unique and memorable adventure, we hope you have enjoyed being along for the ride, and we leave you with these wise words;


"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbour.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
(Mark Twain)

Best Wishes,

ASTRID

Comments
Vessel Name: Astrid
Vessel Make/Model: Custom built 32ft canoe stern built in diagonally glued mahogany. Built in Sletten, Denmark, 1990.
Hailing Port: Sunderland
Crew: Anders Thomsen, Nigel Davison, Pete Sinkinson, Tom Maxfield

S/V Astrid

Who: Anders Thomsen, Nigel Davison, Pete Sinkinson, Tom Maxfield
Port: Sunderland