Fixing Your Boat In Far Flung Places

Aurora Of Polruan

02 June 2019 | Fethyie
02 June 2019 | Yacht Classic Fethyie
19 May 2019 | Gulf Of Kekova
14 May 2019 | Castle Island Gokova Gulf
13 May 2019 | Akbuk Gokova Korfezi
07 May 2019 | Bozburun
01 October 2018 | Symi
18 September 2018 | Dodecanese
26 June 2018 | Gocek
08 June 2018
01 June 2018 | Kekova
01 June 2018 | Kas
30 May 2018 | Kalkan
30 May 2018
11 October 2017 | Ciftlik , Turkey
09 October 2017 | Pedi , Symi island
02 October 2017 | Nisiros Greece

(In)Competent Crew

16 May 2017 | Sarsala bay, Gocek, Turkey
hot hot hot
The early hours of Sunday morning brought Gordon and Olivia to Aurora. Since arrivng, they have been earning their keep helping on the boat under the watchful eye of lead crew Dorothy-Anne. There maybe RYA competent crew courses where you learn how to lassoo a mooring buoy and tie a boat to a pontoon with a turn and half hitch, but on the DYA (Dorothy Yachting Association) course, you get to learn the more day to day skills of just how much ice to put in the G & T, best spot to read your book and the like...though i have to say Dorothy's offer of a "putting out the fender" tutorial was initially greeted with enthusiasm...this interest soon petered out and the fenders remained where they were in the first place.
Sunday was spent at rest on Skopia marina in Gocek , Dorothy and I visited the sunday fruit market whilst Gordon and Olivia slept off their late arrival. Pool aquatics were undertaken whilst we waited for our laundry to be completed. It is amazing just how dirty one gets on a boat swanning around the med, so it was lovely to get everything back nice and clean. Olivia and Gordon took lunch in the strangely named restaurant "Kebab Hospital". Having passed it a few times, it was always busy with the locals, usulally a good sign and they reported back saying it was very good indeed.
We left the marina with the intention of anchoring in the bay, only to be harangued by the coast guard who told us it was no longer possible to anchor in the bay. So, along with a number of other boats we had to make haste to find an anchorage out in the tiny bays dotted around here. A number of the boats told to leave made for the same cove which all of a sudden became quite busy with boats jostling for a place to drop the hook. It turned out to be a very pleasant place to spend an evening.
It would be interesting to know the thoughts of the Gocek businesses who rely on boat people mooring in the bay whilst provisioning and using the local restaurants.
Monday, the winds blew 20/25 knots, so all this lazing around in the sun came to an abrupt end as we got the sails up for a whizz up the bay. Gordon and Olivia proving a very handy crew as we had a really good sail. A lunch stop and swim in a bay followed by an afternoons sail ending up finding a mooring buoy in a very sheltered little cove. A quick check of the weather and it was decided that this is where the evenings swimming/drinking/eating and card playing activities woukd take place.
A quiet night , early morning swim and a visit from the local boat shop with fresh bread and baklava for later..life is tough.
Comments
Vessel Name: Aurora Of Polruan
Vessel Make/Model: Moody 425
Hailing Port: Fowey
Crew: Alan and Dorothy-Anne Bulmer
About: Semi retired out to prove you we still have it in us before it's too late
Extra: We are not performance sailors...more your destination sailors. This is our first yacht and experiences therein :-). Aurora is a Moody 425 built in 1990. We are the second owners and we hope that Aurora will look after us as well as she has her previous owner Dennis
Aurora Of Polruan's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 29 September 2017
No Photos
Created 28 September 2017
No Photos
Created 28 September 2017
Trip including time with Helen,Andrew,Sandra and Chloe
No Photos
Created 28 September 2017
These are a few photographs of our first week out here in Marmaris
8 Photos
Created 10 May 2016
A few pictures of the area
9 Photos
Created 5 May 2016
A few jobs undertaken over the winter following the purchase of Aurora.
15 Photos
Created 13 April 2016
Aurora Of Polruan
5 Photos
Created 13 April 2016
2 Photos
Created 12 April 2016