Fixing Your Boat In Far Flung Places

Aurora Of Polruan

02 June 2019 | Fethyie
02 June 2019 | Yacht Classic Fethyie
19 May 2019 | Gulf Of Kekova
14 May 2019 | Castle Island Gokova Gulf
13 May 2019 | Akbuk Gokova Korfezi
07 May 2019 | Bozburun
01 October 2018 | Symi
18 September 2018 | Dodecanese
26 June 2018 | Gocek
08 June 2018
01 June 2018 | Kekova
01 June 2018 | Kas
30 May 2018 | Kalkan
30 May 2018
11 October 2017 | Ciftlik , Turkey
09 October 2017 | Pedi , Symi island
02 October 2017 | Nisiros Greece

Alan makes a special friend

03 June 2017 | Lindos, Greece
Alan enjoying the sun
Wednesday saw us leave Symi. Heading into the channel , the promised blow did not materialise, so, for an hour or so, we motored along. At one point, I decided to sit forward of the mast dangling my feet over the bow. This was just lovely, bobbing along watching Rhodes island come into view..then...to my amazement, a lone dolphin appeared at the bow of the boat, right under my feet, it rode the wave made by the boat, rolling over as it did so, then turning round and repeating the manouevre.This continued for 4 or 5 minutes as he demonstrated just how this swimming in the water lark was really done. I was so excited. He eventually got fed up playing with the boat and literally turned tail and dived into the deep blue. A little happening I will never forget.
Shortly after this, the promised blow appeared, right on our tails, up went the sails and off went the engine and we were soon whizzing along far quicker than the engine could ever manage. A fabulous sail back over to Rhodes followed and as we rounded the corner at Rhodes town, it was time to take in some sail as the wind now came onto the beam. It went very quiet in the cockpit as Aurora started to heel over and the wind blew harder. We did some more whizzing , past Rhodes town, then Faliraki until we came to our overnight stop at Ladiko bay. Now, we have stayed in some smallish bays, this bay was very small, not enough room to swing a cat never mind a 42 foot boat. It was real squeeky bum time following the chart information, as the depths came up to 2 metres at the entrance. The anchor went down amongst a few bemused swimmers ...I did say it was a small bay. The wind was howling in the rigging as we put 2 lines ashore to stop us swinging around. Being a small bay, the swell seemed to bounce off the walls, so , we enjoyed a few hours on a boat that was not unlike the pirate ship at alton towers. We ate in the cabin, which was rather an odd experience as the boat rocked and rolled. Any fears Deb had of being potentially sea sick on this trip were dispersed there and then.
The wind and sea finally got a grip of itself at around midnight and a comfortable night ensued.
Having cousen Gary on board this week has been amazing, he is one of these people who just happens to be able to turn his hand to anything...and so it proves with sailing and boaty things in general..explain once and its locked in and remembered...this in stark contrast to my favourite crew member , Dorothy , who steadfastly refuses to remember any boaty stuff, yet she can remember the name of all family members of someone we met briefly a year ago. However, ace crew member Gary blotted his copy book in Ladiko bay. Taking in the stern lines from the shore, the line is wound onto a reel using the winch handle...all going ok until the winch handle inexplicably decided to go for a swim..."flipping heck" says Gary..or something like that..."you havent?" says I. Gary "jacques cousteau" Hill, quick as a flash , dives in and retrieves the handle, thats what you call "top crew".
A fantastic sail from Ladiko bay, brings us here to the beautiful hillside town of Lindos. The bay , complete with fantastic sandy beach is picture postcard material indeed, with the ancient acropolis looking down.Of course, mooring in the bay means getting the old patchwork quilt dinghy out. This leads to all sorts of fun and games....getting in the dinghy....getting out of the dinghy...its all good fun and especially at night when all you have to guide you are the moon and the stars....oh and my trusty head torch....which...whenever it makes an appearance, results in fits of giggles from fellow crew members. A couple of days at anchor here, enjoing the town of Lindos with its herd of unwilling donkeys employed to transfer tourist up and down the steep streets that lindos has a plenty. I am pretty certain I saw the donkeys trying to hide behind each other as i approached, sensing i might ask for a ride. All i wanted to do was say hello and stroke a few ears....really!








Comments
Vessel Name: Aurora Of Polruan
Vessel Make/Model: Moody 425
Hailing Port: Fowey
Crew: Alan and Dorothy-Anne Bulmer
About: Semi retired out to prove you we still have it in us before it's too late
Extra: We are not performance sailors...more your destination sailors. This is our first yacht and experiences therein :-). Aurora is a Moody 425 built in 1990. We are the second owners and we hope that Aurora will look after us as well as she has her previous owner Dennis
Aurora Of Polruan's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 29 September 2017
No Photos
Created 28 September 2017
No Photos
Created 28 September 2017
Trip including time with Helen,Andrew,Sandra and Chloe
No Photos
Created 28 September 2017
These are a few photographs of our first week out here in Marmaris
8 Photos
Created 10 May 2016
A few pictures of the area
9 Photos
Created 5 May 2016
A few jobs undertaken over the winter following the purchase of Aurora.
15 Photos
Created 13 April 2016
Aurora Of Polruan
5 Photos
Created 13 April 2016
2 Photos
Created 12 April 2016