Aussie Rules has been sold and We are back in BC enjoying land life for now.

We enjoyed our time in Sint Maarten but decided against buying Ohana. We are boat free for the first time in a long time! Not sure for how long....

ROONEY POINT, Fraser Island

19 November 2015
We left early in the morning to catch the outgoing tide, which helped to pull us towards the top of Fraser Island. When checking the weather it looked like the wind direction may switch and we might get some 15kn Northerlies, so being behind the tip of the island we'd be more comfortable. That meant aiming for Rooney Point. Besides it was the remote corner which cars and trucks aren't allowed to drive to. Thanks to Shelly and Drew (s/v Firefly) who told us about this bay when we had caught up with over dinner recently. This was supposed to be the prettiest bay (Platypus bay) in the whole region. The turquiose clear waters we had seen all over would quickly be a distant memory.

It took most of the day to get there. With seemingly endless beach and hardly a soul besides us and a few fishermen in powerboats, it was truly the prettiest anchorage we saw. We quickly dropped anchor and got the dinghy in. We got our swim gear on, loaded cameras, food and drink and beach chairs and quickly got ashore. The sand squeaked and squelched under our feet. The bay was really shallow a long way out from shore and after shooting a couple dozen pics, videos and panos, we all
waded into the water. How nice to be in the ocean again.

A long walk down the beach and we found a dead turtle :( and also the skeleton of a small whale or a maybe a Dugong. The skeleton was really interesting. We tried to dig it out, as the tail bone and about 3' of the spine were all that was sticking out of the sand... It would have been really interesting to see it whole....but it had long since mostly sunk into the sand. It was like being at Science World, only at the much smaller Fraser Island exhibit.

The tranquility of being at anchor in a quiet place simply cannot be beat. I will miss that the most.
Comments
Vessel Name: Aussie Rules
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 34 MK I I
Hailing Port: Gabriola Island
Crew: Dave and Rose Hayes
About: We have sold the boat and are back on Gabriola. What a treat to know where things are and have vehicles to buy what we need ! We also have wifi at the trailer, which we are staying in until we build.
Extra:
Now we are researching building details and courses to take which will lead to jobs (Dave) and permaculture and gardening and how best to allocate on our site at this time (me). We have a cistern and rooftop rainwater collection started today from the roof of the future shop and 10x10 shed beside [...]

we are back home on Gabriola and working toward house plans and all kinds of building details.

Who: Dave and Rose Hayes
Port: Gabriola Island