Autumn Borne Cruising

CSY-44 Antigua - Hull 001

01 January 2024 | Shady Harbor Marina -- Coyman's Landing
22 November 2022 | Beaufort SC
06 September 2022 | Catskill NY
15 July 2022 | Catskill
02 July 2022 | catskill, NY
19 June 2022 | Catskill NY
05 June 2022 | Catskill Marina
02 February 2022 | VERO Beach
05 September 2021 | Catskill Marina
22 July 2021 | Catskill NY
11 July 2021 | Dock at Catskill Marina
24 June 2021 | Catskill Marina
24 June 2021 | Catskill, NY
19 June 2021 | CATSKILL

St. Mary's GA to Charleston SC - Outside overnight

08 May 2013 | Charleston SC
Dean - overnight - Clear- Wind building
8 MAY 2013 - ST. Mary’s (Fernandina Beach, FL) to Charleston SC

We pulled the anchor up at about 0800 hours in Fernandina Beach FL, and headed for the St. Mary’s River outlet to the ocean. We put up the mains’l right in front of the range marker; fell off the wind, and hauled up the foresails…. The ocean had a swell to it of about 2 feet, and a 1 foot chop on top of that… So it was nearly as predicted…

We talked with our buddy “Dream Catcher” who was motoring up the inside (AICW)…to tell him about the outside conditions. Course 035 Speed 6.3 knots (C035/S6.3). Running the “3 mile line”… (Although mostly we’re 7 to 8 miles from the coast -- near enough for telephone signals, but too far for reliable data…. But we did change course, and approach the coast so we could see NCIS tonight….)

One has to have some priorities in life!! J

The one bit of excitement Tuesday Afternoon (right before the DoDA Network on the SSB – 8152 kHz at 1700 hours)… We lost the “Yankee” (our biggest headsail)…. I had just gotten up from an hours nap; came into the cockpit; turned toward the bow, and literally watched the heads’l fall out of the forestay FOIL!

Wow… !!! So… it was an ‘all hands on deck moment’ to prevent the heads’l from going overboard; That being accomplished – figure out why it fell…. That was easy… the Yankee Halyard chafed through right at the snap-shackle. Bummer!

OK… what now…? WELL… after changing course, and sail trim, a bit, because of a major change in wind direction… Susan and I put the AB into the hove-to configuration (basically standing still, but with sails still up, (back winded jib – helm locked toward the wind)).

So…while the boat was hove-to, we took the Spare Halyard and attached it to the top roller furling bearings, and while I raised the roller furler bearings, Susan fed the Yankee sail back into the forestay’s foil. And we were working again with all sails flying… yeah!!!

We did have to cut a small piece off the heads’l bolt rope… as it was jamming in the foil… Guess we need to take it to a sail loft this summer…

From sunset to midnight everything went fairly well…. Then just after passing Tybee Roads (Savannah River) I had a “bit of a go” with a very large freighter… He was plainly visible on radar as I approached him… I was certain we were on a collision course… So I changed course to let him pass to our bow… good idea, right ?

He did pass to our bow… and I returned to our normal course… and speed. Then, the frieghter immediately turned 180 degrees and headed back out to sea… right towards the AB…. WTF!!!!

WE can’t normally out-run freighters…. So now what… I changed course again to at least parallel his, slightly off to his starboard side… to see what his intentions were…

And I increased our speed with the motor…. His position stayed the same relative to AB’s course and speed…. NOT GOOD!!! … as sometime I must turn to port… and cross his bow to maintain course to Charleston…. About 15 minutes later…The freighter ceases to make way… and we outrun him…. Whewwww! Turns out he was trying to orient the freighter to give the Savannah PILOT a lee-side stairway (1 meter above the sea)…. Go figure! So… I put the AB back on course, and continue with the night run around Georgia, and most of SC. Hectic 15 or 20 minutes…. !!!!!

We passed Port Royal Sound entrance about 0120 hours… So we were well into South Carolina waters, as I wrote the bulk of this ( 0423 hours) . I saved this document for uploading in the AM, when we anchor at Charleston, SC.

Morning/Afternoon 8 May 2013

As it turns out… the the ocean wasn’t going to let us go into the Charleston Harbor without a “good-bye” slap on the rear…. The winds increased all morning after sunrise, until we entered the harbor with 24 knot winds, and 4 to 5 foot waves on our beam…. Quite the wild ending to a passage…

Unfortunately, we were caught between two problems… getting off the ocean as quickly as we could, and trying to wait out the ebb tide coming out of the Charleston Harbor…

We elected to go in the entrance jetty against the outgoing tide…. So with those 5 foot waves slapping our beam, and 20+ winds in the mains’l, and stays’l…. we entered… our Speed over the Ground went from 7.0 knots in the ocean, to 4.2 in the entrance channel… a fight!!!

Anyway… once inside we doused sail, and elected to start down the ICW toward Winyah Bay… We’re now anchored in DEWES creek about 6 miles north of Charleston. AND the wind is still howling…
Comments
Vessel Name: Autumn Borne
Vessel Make/Model: CSY-44-Antigua
Hailing Port: Buffalo, New York
Crew: Dean and Susan Perry
About: Full time cruisers for 14 years, now. We cruise about 3500 nautical miles each season, from the top of the Hudson River (NY) to either the FL keys; the Bahamas; or the west side of FL, for the Winters.
Extra: Our CSY-44-Antigua is hull #001.
Autumn Borne's Photos - Main
Autumn Borne has new home in 2020 - summer...
14 Photos
Created 25 August 2020
Vero Beach 2020 - Limit to this seasons southerly travels... Activities and Projects.
9 Photos
Created 24 February 2020
Summer Projects on Autumn Borne
8 Photos
Created 21 August 2019
preparation projects on the AB...for trip south
6 Photos
Created 30 September 2018
Goodwill Date NIGHT at the pool at HOP-O-Nose. Great Fun with good folks. spouses buy outfits for the other party.
5 Photos
Created 6 August 2017
2017 Trip to the Abacos Islands - BAHAMAS
4 Photos
Created 15 February 2017
Wonderful time at St. Marys GA -
8 Photos
Created 1 December 2016
Bill and Janet took us to Wilmington NC ( aka "the big city") by car on FRiday... GREAT TRIP
6 Photos
Created 16 April 2016
We were invited for Pasta Night with Mike and Vickie McKinnon, to the new home of Michele and Steve Papile (s/v John Rae). Wonderful day !!
6 Photos
Created 19 February 2016
our times at VERO Beach
7 Photos
Created 9 February 2016
FALL 2015 - Trip South along EAST Coast of USA
8 Photos
Created 15 November 2015
Wonderful time at a Finger-Lakes wine tasting tour, organized by our daughter, Ruth. The tour was followed by a B-day celebration, and dinner at a local restaurant. Friends, and Relatives gathered from all over NY, and PA. GREAT TIME !!!
7 Photos
Created 18 September 2015
After Key West - winter of 2015 spent in Boot Key Harbor, and Marathon FL. Lot's of friends here...
12 Photos
Created 19 April 2015
Vacation from Cruising... Becoming a tourist again.... and a wonderful visit from our kids.
6 Photos
Created 22 February 2015
AB on the Hard for bottom work, and new paint. Propeller staightened, and cleaned up by professional prop shop.... two dents, and numerous nicks... and scratches...gone now... plus "pitch" checked and trued... Cutless bearing removed, and reset...
9 Photos
Created 18 December 2014
Cumberland Island GA - great place to visit... like walking on an alien planet
6 Photos
Created 1 December 2014
Traveling with Benny and Lisa on the S/V Rhiannon, and then Ilene, and Roger, on the s/v ILENE. Beautiful Beaufort SC until we had to leave before our anchor let GO in a blow and tide... and a wonderful ST. Mary's Thanksgiving.
6 Photos
Created 30 November 2014
dinner for 8, cooked by Ondra, and Nelson on Last Boat... eaten by the crews from Autumn Borne, SEEKER, Last Boat, and Endurance.
4 Photos
Created 12 March 2014
summer 2013 at HON
2 Photos
Created 6 October 2013
rented car in Titusville, FL. Drove to Glenville, NY in two days. Christmas with Ruth, Matt, and the kids (Billie, and Charlie).
5 Photos
Created 25 December 2012
Painting the trim at Ruth's house, led to some interesting happenings... Like my first ambulance ride (head wound).
4 Photos
Created 28 September 2012
photos from our past, and hopefully from our sixth year 'out'.
4 Photos
Created 16 September 2012