Avelinda 2020

02 August 2020 | Snow Island, Casco Bay (photo Harbor Island)
31 July 2020 | Harbor island
28 July 2020 | Photo of Reindeer Cove; Currently at Dix Harbor, Muscle Ridge
25 July 2020 | Seal Harbor, Vinalhaven
23 July 2020 | Looking toward Mt Desert from Buckle Harbor (Swans area)
19 July 2020
18 July 2020 | Cows Yard
14 July 2020 | Trafton Island
13 July 2020
11 July 2020 | Burnt Coats Harbor, Swans Island, ME
10 July 2020
10 July 2020
06 July 2020 | Damarascove Island
05 July 2020 | Harpswell sound
04 July 2020 | Yankee Marina, Yarmouth Maine
15 August 2015 | Harraseeket River, South Freeport Maine

Biking Isle au Haut

09 August 2015 | Post office
PM/ crisp clear warm sun, cool
Isle a haut

You got to love that island life. The pace is so different than anywhere else on the mainland and everyone you meet is so friendly. We spent the day biking the island but first we needed to mail some bills so we visited the post. It was about the size of a small closet but efficient, quaint and still operating. Some of our island post offices in Maine have had trouble staying open due to the lack of patrons. People don't write personal letters the way they used to before email and the Internet. In order for our island post offices to continue to stay alive they need to be an asset to their community which is why we buy our stamps online from our local islands like Cliff Island or Chebeague.

The day was sunny and dry so we spent our day biking from the town landing along the western side then around to the eastern side and ended up having lunch at a cobble beach then swam at a pond which was lovely. We considered biking the whole island but we were told that much of the southern section was a rough dirt road and not much fun to bike, in fact several people said that they wouldn't bike it if they had the choice so we listened to their advice.

We did end up going to the ranger station to read about the park and spoke with the ranger for a bit. Apparently he lives in Stonington and not on the island. He mentioned that the Richardson lighthouse at the southwest end of the island rents rooms to the public like a B&B with a going rate of $300 a night including meals - must be nice. I guess if you want to say you stayed in the light keepers house on Isle au Haut then it's all worth it.
Comments
Vessel Name: Avelinda
Vessel Make/Model: Ericson 32 - 200
Hailing Port: South Freeport, ME
Crew: Capt Pete and First Mate Carey
About: Peter owns and is captain of Seacoast Tours of Maine LLC; Carey works as 8th Grade Teacher
Extra: We gain spiritual connection to the earth, and rejuvenation upon being together on the ocean. We are excited about our upcoming cruise the coast of Maine .

Avelinda is fixed and ready for travel

Who: Capt Pete and First Mate Carey
Port: South Freeport, ME