aVida

Placencia, Belize to Belize City

26 March 2010
ms
20100327 Placencia to Belize City

20090320 Said bye to our friends Jim and Jane, and Jim Lightheart, (for now..) and sailed from Placencia to Laughing Bird Caye for a snorkel stop. Fyi they pronounce Caye like "key" but it still takes us time to not say "kay" the way it is spelled. We had good snorkeling at Laughing Bird, saw spotted eagle rays, many large lobsters, schools of angelfish and grunts, etc.. Had lunch under way to Ranguna Caye- tiny island with one very weathered bar where we had a drink, and decided that dinner onboard aVida was a better choice.

20100321 Sailed in am to Blue Ground Range, a group of small Cayes. There is strong norther predicted in tonight, and there are very few Cayes that offer protection from north winds. Blue Ground is all mangrove covered, and there are channels between the islands that we can sneak into and anchor in relative calm. We put out 2 anchors just in case.
Going ashore on one island, there is a lodge and several cabins, apparently totally deserted. There is a rasta caretaker couple living there, and they let us explore the tiny island. Turns out, it is privately owned by an LA lawyer for use by his family.
As we are leaving, the rasta guy (who has no boat), asks if we can boat him over to another island to pick up the TV he loaned to the rastas over there. Arriving at that island, there is a well-used and odorous hooka sitting on the rickety dock. Our guy says "da people here, dey be crazy". He gets his TV, and we take him back to aVida to give him a couple of cold beers- but we don't bring him on board. General rule, don't bring locals on your boat- but in this case, making friends with the local caretaker might just be a security move to protect against some other local fishermen who live in shacks in the mangroves on the various islands. We take him back to his island and return to aVida for dinner aboard. The night blows over 30 knots, but we are snug in our anchorage.

20100322 While sailing from Blue Ground to South Water Caye, Rita bakes apfel kuchen per mom's recipe- it turns out Great. Later, our friends Peter and Jennifer on Saphira (Atlantic 55) arrive also.
On shore there is a resort that caters to schools that send large groups of students to the island for eco-education and experiences. Owners Fred and Sharon invite us to dinner, with the only guests there, Fred and Sharon. Great dinner and conversation. Turns out, Fred owned several other islands in the area and has been here for 30 years- he has seen it change dramatically. Fred says that originally, he could walk into the water anywhere and in 3 minutes pick up all the conch and lobster he could carry. Gross over fishing has depleted 95% of the populations, and they can only be found in deeper waters that are more difficult for skin divers to take. Fred has storied to tell, about pirates and locals.
Once a few drunk and rowdy locals came to the island, declaring they were going to rape the young girls there. As they advanced, Fred's assistant grabbed a shotgun and told them to stop. The intruder laughed and kept walking. With the gun pointed at the head, the assistant pulled the trigger- click. Misfire. He opens the breach of the gun, pulls out the real shell, and reinserts it, pulls the trigger again, and it fires into the air. The intruder was a bit shocked that the assistant really tried to blow his head off- and he retreated rather quickly. It was a much more wild place in the past.

20100323 Scuba day with Peter and Jennifer, out to Glover Reef, one of only 4 true atolls in the western hemisphere.
An atoll begins on top of an underwater mountain / volcano rim. The coral growth covers the entire ring of the mountain. Over millennia, as land masses sink and/or ocean levels rise, the coral continues to grow to remain near the sunlight at the surface, forming a giant ring of coral, tens of miles long and wide, with shallow sandy coral patches in the center. This vertical growth causes very steep living coral walls hundreds of feet high, dropping into the abyss. This structure provides protection for immense numbers of other life that live in and around the protection of the corals, from the open sea. It also attracts large pelagic fishes to the reef for its food supply. It is the meeting point of deep and shallow predator action. Makes for interesting diving. (for the true experts out there, pardon my layman description of atolls).

2010324 Sailed to Cucumber Marina, just south of Belize City. Very nice little marina, dinner at the restaurant. Early bed.

20100325 There are benefits to being in a marina. We arranged for locals Tony and his 2 helpers to do a thorough cleaning of aVida. The boat is salt-caked from weeks at sea, and the stainless steel is beginning to tarnish and bleed bits of rust. In 1 day, the 3 of them do an excellent job for a very reasonable price, even with our generous tip beyond their price.
Rita and I take a taxi into Belize City to a medical clinic to see a dermatologist about some spots on our skin. Nothing to worry about- common actinic keratosis, and he prescribes some creams and teaches us to be religious about using top quality sunscreen twice a day. We tour Belize City a bit with Mike the taxi driver.
Saphira arrives, and we have dinner at the restaurant with Peter, Jennifer, and their kids Tucker and Holly. Peter has taken Tucker and Holly out of school for a year, and they are sailing as a family from June 2009 to June 2010- what a great experience for the kids (ages 17,14 approx). Both boats are on a similar northward voyage to the US; Saphira ending their voyage this July, and aVida continuing on across the atlantic and to the Med.
Saphira has guests arriving for a week, as do we.

20100326 Laundry. Cleaning the boat inside and out. Trip to Belize City for provisioning. All prep for our 5 guests coming tomorrow. Dinner at the bar with solo-sailor Doug, who's boat is on the hard for some repair work. They actually dropped his boat today out of the boat lift and the keel and prop hit the ground. Fortunately, the damage is not too bad.

20100327 Final AM preps and cleaning. Friends Dave and Linda, Mike and Elaine with son AJ arrive. Lunch in the marina, then a quick departure out to the islands again.
Next blog entry....

Vessel Name: aVida
Vessel Make/Model: Atlantic 57
Hailing Port: Akron, Ohio
Crew: Mark Sinreich, Rita Leone
Extra: text...
aVida's Photos - Main
117 Photos
Created 10 June 2014
118 Photos
Created 8 May 2014
120 Photos
Created 19 February 2014
21 Photos
Created 16 February 2014
115 Photos
Created 30 January 2014
30 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
117 Photos
Created 5 November 2013
100 Photos
Created 30 September 2013
116 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
105 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
91 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
118 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
52 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
100 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
106 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
118 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
116 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
108 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
113 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
98 Photos
Created 9 March 2013
119 Photos
Created 9 March 2013
117 Photos
Created 22 January 2013
77 Photos
Created 22 January 2013
94 Photos
Created 12 January 2013
108 Photos
Created 18 November 2012
120 Photos
Created 18 November 2012
120 Photos
Created 18 November 2012
120 Photos
Created 8 November 2012
119 Photos
Created 14 October 2012
44 Photos
Created 7 October 2012
40 Photos
Created 11 September 2012
76 Photos
Created 30 August 2012
110 Photos
Created 4 August 2012
116 Photos
Created 15 April 2012
50 Photos
Created 15 April 2012
87 Photos
Created 14 April 2012
97 Photos
Created 14 April 2012
71 Photos
Created 21 November 2011
74 Photos
Created 21 November 2011
94 Photos
Created 21 November 2011
80 Photos
Created 21 November 2011
14 Photos
Created 21 November 2011
70 Photos
Created 17 October 2011
120 Photos
Created 14 October 2011
68 Photos
Created 11 October 2011
68 Photos
Created 11 October 2011
97 Photos
Created 11 October 2011
65 Photos
Created 1 September 2011
114 Photos
Created 1 September 2011
78 Photos
Created 26 August 2011
52 Photos
Created 26 August 2011
64 Photos
Created 25 August 2011
63 Photos
Created 22 August 2011
72 Photos
Created 28 July 2011
70 Photos
Created 28 July 2011
81 Photos
Created 28 July 2011
44 Photos
Created 28 July 2011
78 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
77 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
12 Photos
Created 30 June 2011
120 Photos
Created 30 June 2011
103 Photos
Created 30 June 2011
46 Photos
Created 29 January 2011
90 Photos
Created 29 January 2011
95 Photos
Created 29 January 2011
75 Photos
Created 28 January 2011
15 Photos
Created 28 January 2011
36 Photos
Created 5 January 2011
112 Photos
Created 4 January 2011
83 Photos
Created 4 January 2011
89 Photos
Created 4 January 2011
38 Photos
Created 4 January 2011
51 Photos
Created 4 January 2011
64 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
34 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
42 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
36 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
55 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
30 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
66 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
35 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 17 November 2010
70 Photos
Created 17 November 2010
69 Photos
Created 26 October 2010
86 Photos
Created 26 October 2010
47 Photos
Created 26 October 2010
47 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 1 October 2010
71 Photos
Created 1 October 2010
16 Photos
Created 1 October 2010
82 Photos
Created 1 October 2010
107 Photos
Created 1 October 2010
105 Photos
Created 23 August 2010
114 Photos
Created 23 August 2010
50 Photos
Created 13 August 2010
88 Photos
Created 13 August 2010
106 Photos
Created 13 August 2010
84 Photos
Created 13 August 2010
76 Photos
Created 13 August 2010
24 Photos
Created 13 August 2010
16 Photos
Created 4 July 2010
76 Photos
Created 4 July 2010
60 Photos
Created 4 July 2010
68 Photos
Created 4 July 2010
77 Photos
Created 10 June 2010
78 Photos
Created 10 June 2010
100 Photos
Created 10 June 2010
90 Photos
Created 1 June 2010
67 Photos
Created 19 May 2010
59 Photos
Created 19 May 2010
89 Photos
Created 19 May 2010
119 Photos
Created 19 May 2010
74 Photos
Created 15 April 2010
116 Photos
Created 13 April 2010
53 Photos
Created 12 April 2010
61 Photos
Created 18 March 2010
112 Photos
Created 15 March 2010
115 Photos
Created 1 March 2010
98 Photos
Created 15 February 2010
23 Photos
Created 31 January 2010
108 Photos
Created 31 January 2010
42 Photos
Created 12 January 2010
45 Photos
Created 12 January 2010
78 Photos
Created 12 January 2010
70 Photos
Created 12 January 2010
99 Photos
Created 11 December 2009
65 Photos
Created 2 December 2009
76 Photos
Created 2 December 2009
Start of Voyage
41 Photos
Created 2 December 2009
28 Photos
Created 4 November 2009
18 Photos
Created 4 November 2009
19 Photos
Created 4 November 2009
16 Photos
Created 4 November 2009
11 Photos
Created 4 November 2009
LiveAboards for 1 Week
30 Photos
Created 25 October 2009
18 months in labor at Alwoplast
68 Photos
Created 4 October 2009