aVida

Belize City to Isla Mujeres, Mexico

13 April 2010
ms
20100417 Belize City to Isla Mujeres

20100405 Well, it's just me and Rita again, after a week of great company. We depart Caye Caulker early for San Pedro, the northern-most port of entry/exit from Belize, in preparation for our voyages north. San Pedro is a very busy small town, with ferries, water taxis, tour boats etc zooming at full speed through the sailboat anchorage area. Very wavy, but tolerable in a catamaran. Our guests did a great job of cleaning their cabins and head, but there is a ton of laundry to do, and other general boat cleaning. Laundry ashore, explore the town, arrange a dive trip for manana, some provisioning.
Rita finds Chinese masseur for me who claims to heal everything from aches and pains to mental illness. I have what I believe is a pinched sciatic nerve due to a muscle spasm in my lower back that has been very painful for 4 weeks now. He massages and stretches me so hard he causes more pain that makes me forget the original pain. He gives me some Chinese compresses to put on (don't know how that helps with a nerve problem), and tells me to soak my feet in hot water and use my toes to mush up some ginger root. Weeks later am still recovering from the bruised muscles he caused. The compresses did not help, and I did not soak my feet.

20100406 Scuba diving at 2 dive sites. Great diving. We petted and wrapped our arms around and hugged nurse sharks! Amazing experience. Massive deep canyon and cavern structures to explore. Lunch ashore, some liquid muscle relaxers, then a nap on board. Saphira arrives, and we briefly catch up on things, and have dinner ashore.

20100407 After clearing out with customs, immigration and the Capitania del Puerto, we depart San Pedro for Xcalak, Mexico, the southern-most port of entry for Mexico. The sail is a great ride in 20 knots winds and 10 foot seas. As we cross the border into Mexican waters, a Mex armada patrol boat, with big guns on the deck, pulls up alongside us. I wave hello to them from the aft deck, then realize I don't have the VHF on. Turning on the VHF, they want to know about passengers on board, last ports, destination port, cargo, etc. They seem satisfied, and head out to sea chasing some other boat.
Once again, 2 boats that departed 2 hours before us, are passed as we approach Xcalak. So we get to be the first ones to find our way through the reef into the harbor.
The pass through the reef is only 150 feet wide, and the waves are breaking in the pass. We try to call the port captain on VHF for local guidance to make the pass- once again the sailor comraderie comes to the rescue, and a sailboat in the harbor helps us with visual landmarks to line up for the pass. The other boats follow us in on the same line.
Within 20 minutes, the Mexican armada comes to aVida, with 6 uniformed soldiers carrying M16s. 4 of them board aVida. They inspect our papers, and ask to search the boat. One of them goes through almost every cabinet, drawer, and floor boat, but it is a casual search- not really the nightmare "rip the boat apart" searches we have heard about. The leader of the group is more interested in having his men take his picture in various poses at the helm, in the cockpit, with big smiles. They are very impressed w aVida, and repeated say "bueno barque". We offer them ice water, and they all accept. We ask them for a signed inspection document, and they say there is none- so I ask to take their picture on aVida to prove we did have the inspection. They leave with big smiles, on to the next boat that arrived after us.
Xcalak is a tiny town. We go to the tiny immigration / customs office to get cleared in, near the end of the day. The printer and copier are not working, and it appears we are stuck until they get their systems working- in a place like that, it could be days?? Fortunately after an hour or so someone brings one from somewhere else on the island; the helpful staff is willing to work after hours, and we get cleared in.
Walking the town is a bit depressing, but the people are very friendly. We find a small resto-bar overlooking the beautiful shoreline, have a few cocktails and back to aVida for dinner.

20100408 Early am departure. The waves outside the reef have increase to 15 feet, and the breakers in the pass are 20 to 25 feet. Using the track line on the chart plotter, we know exactly how we came in yesterday, and we ride that line back out. aVida is bucking like a bronco in the pass- Rita is scared shitless but handles it well.
Once out to sea, with 1 reef in the mainsail, we close reach NE on the rhumbline (did I spell that right?) with 15 to 25 knots E winds. aVida is doing 10-15 knots- great ride!
Far out to sea, we see a shark fin and tail cruising near us- don't want to swim right now.
When possible, we try to avoid sailing at night by doing day sails with overnight anchorages. We arrive mid afternoon, having covered 97NM. We enter the reef through a wide and easy opening to Bahia del Ascencion, and anchor in the open behind the reef for protection from the big seas, but not the winds. The anchor(s) hold well, and it is a fairly comfortable night sleep. In any case, I usually set a GPS marker point on the boat position and watch a few times through the night to make sure we are not slipping- that is part of life on a boat.

20100409 Up early for the sail north, heading for Isle Mujeres. We cover another 95 miles by mid afternoon, and contemplate going all the way, but we would arrive in Isle Mujeres at or after dusk, and night entries through reefs and shallows are a bit more risky, so we head for Puerto Moreles for the night, on the Mayan Riviera coast, by mid afternoon, leaving time to explore the town before finding a good dinner ashore. Puerto Moreles is a combination of a quaint fishing town, with a tourist destination with great beaches- but seemingly for Mexicans, and not many foreigners. This is the peak vacation week after Easter, and it is very busy for a small port.

20100410 A nice easy sail to Isla Mujeres, still beating on the rhumbline most of the way. Passing Cancun to port, and a lot of fishing and ferry boat traffic all around. Hundreds of flying fish leap from the water together and fly hundreds of feet, apparently running from approaching aVida, the monster that might eat them.
On anchor by noon in the harbor. Lunch, vino and a nap. Then we walk the town- we know it fairly well We visited here 6 years ago for several days, and it was much less developed or busy then. But this is peak Easter vacation week also.
Ferries and fishing boats zip back and forth to Cancun. The beaches are packed with sun worshipers. This is nice island, but we like it better when it is quieter.
Remembering from our last visit, we walk to the north beach in the evening, and find the Sunset Grill, with table right at the edge of the beach with gentle surf lapping against the shore, and tiki lamps in line, for a romantic dinner. They charge extra for the premium beach tables, and Rita announces it is our anniversary (it is not), and several patrons turn and congratulate us, but the staff still charges us for the table. Dinner and vino are great, service is great- this is probably one of the best restaurants on the island.

20100411 More boat cleaning. Laundry ashore. Finally have internet again at a restaurant ashore. The dilemma is the weather window to Key West. In a few days, the winds in the passage will build to over 30 knots NE, directly beating against the gulf stream going NE, causing very big and steep waves. If we don't leave this afternoon, we will probably hit stressful conditions before we get to Key West. If we don't leave, we probably cant leave for a week- and we have a deadline- my brother Norm and Connie are coming to Key West to be with us for a week.
We have a professional weather routing service we consult on occasion, and they tell us the same thing- go now, or wait at least a week. I double check the weather forecasts, our route plan, and our expected progress, and determine that into NE winds, we will like motor into a headwind- not sail- reducing our speeds to 7 knots possibly, extending the voyage time into the bad weather coming. We need some time to catch up, un-wind, and relax. We have been so busy with guests and voyaging for a long time. . Decision is to not go, and wait for the next weather window.
We do lunch and internet ashore all afternoon, and back to the boat for dinner and a movie, after making arrangements for scuba diving manana.

20100412 The dive boat picks us up at aVida about 9am. It is just me, Rita, the divemaster and the captain. The divemaster, captain, and the guy in the shop are all brothers and run a family dive business. Small, but comfortable and friendly.
First dive is lots of large schools of many fish, many sharks, sting rays, etc. good dive. 2nd dive is "sleeping shark caves" where there used to be hundreds of sharks that collect in caves where the constantly flowing current can ventilate their gills. Recently, the fishermen heard about this, and they fished out all the sharks. Just this morning, the divemaster said the fishermen had 20-30 sharks they caught on the dock. This is a crime against nature- it is very upsetting. It seems even more so since we hugged and petted sharks just days ago (we wouldn't do that with just any shark, or without local divemaster experience!).
Back aboard, the macerator pump on the port head doesn't seem to flush. So I disassemble the shitter pump, clean the impeller, etc, and it seems to work ok for now. Rita rinses, cleans and dries the dive gear. Lunch, vino, and nap aboard. Then back to Sunset Grill for an internet afternoon, doing blog updates, business, dinner, vino, etc... same old routine.

20100413 Errands in the am. Internet lunch and vino back at Sunset Grill again. Seems to be the only place with good internet. A working day.

Departure weather window for Key West appears to be this Friday or Saturday, 4/16-17.
Probably do a dive day Thurs, fuel up aVida, deal with customs, immigration and the harbor master. Then go.
Next update, Key West, with brother Norman and wench Connie. (that is a most respectful term among pirates. arrrgh)
Vessel Name: aVida
Vessel Make/Model: Atlantic 57
Hailing Port: Akron, Ohio
Crew: Mark Sinreich, Rita Leone
Extra: text...
aVida's Photos - Main
117 Photos
Created 10 June 2014
118 Photos
Created 8 May 2014
120 Photos
Created 19 February 2014
21 Photos
Created 16 February 2014
115 Photos
Created 30 January 2014
30 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
117 Photos
Created 5 November 2013
100 Photos
Created 30 September 2013
116 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
105 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
91 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
118 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
52 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
100 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
106 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
118 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
116 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
108 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
113 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
98 Photos
Created 9 March 2013
119 Photos
Created 9 March 2013
117 Photos
Created 22 January 2013
77 Photos
Created 22 January 2013
94 Photos
Created 12 January 2013
108 Photos
Created 18 November 2012
120 Photos
Created 18 November 2012
120 Photos
Created 18 November 2012
120 Photos
Created 8 November 2012
119 Photos
Created 14 October 2012
44 Photos
Created 7 October 2012
40 Photos
Created 11 September 2012
76 Photos
Created 30 August 2012
110 Photos
Created 4 August 2012
116 Photos
Created 15 April 2012
50 Photos
Created 15 April 2012
87 Photos
Created 14 April 2012
97 Photos
Created 14 April 2012
71 Photos
Created 21 November 2011
74 Photos
Created 21 November 2011
94 Photos
Created 21 November 2011
80 Photos
Created 21 November 2011
14 Photos
Created 21 November 2011
70 Photos
Created 17 October 2011
120 Photos
Created 14 October 2011
68 Photos
Created 11 October 2011
68 Photos
Created 11 October 2011
97 Photos
Created 11 October 2011
65 Photos
Created 1 September 2011
114 Photos
Created 1 September 2011
78 Photos
Created 26 August 2011
52 Photos
Created 26 August 2011
64 Photos
Created 25 August 2011
63 Photos
Created 22 August 2011
72 Photos
Created 28 July 2011
70 Photos
Created 28 July 2011
81 Photos
Created 28 July 2011
44 Photos
Created 28 July 2011
78 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
77 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
12 Photos
Created 30 June 2011
120 Photos
Created 30 June 2011
103 Photos
Created 30 June 2011
46 Photos
Created 29 January 2011
90 Photos
Created 29 January 2011
95 Photos
Created 29 January 2011
75 Photos
Created 28 January 2011
15 Photos
Created 28 January 2011
36 Photos
Created 5 January 2011
112 Photos
Created 4 January 2011
83 Photos
Created 4 January 2011
89 Photos
Created 4 January 2011
38 Photos
Created 4 January 2011
51 Photos
Created 4 January 2011
64 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
34 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
42 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
36 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
55 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
30 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
66 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
35 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 17 November 2010
70 Photos
Created 17 November 2010
69 Photos
Created 26 October 2010
86 Photos
Created 26 October 2010
47 Photos
Created 26 October 2010
47 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 1 October 2010
71 Photos
Created 1 October 2010
16 Photos
Created 1 October 2010
82 Photos
Created 1 October 2010
107 Photos
Created 1 October 2010
105 Photos
Created 23 August 2010
114 Photos
Created 23 August 2010
50 Photos
Created 13 August 2010
88 Photos
Created 13 August 2010
106 Photos
Created 13 August 2010
84 Photos
Created 13 August 2010
76 Photos
Created 13 August 2010
24 Photos
Created 13 August 2010
16 Photos
Created 4 July 2010
76 Photos
Created 4 July 2010
60 Photos
Created 4 July 2010
68 Photos
Created 4 July 2010
77 Photos
Created 10 June 2010
78 Photos
Created 10 June 2010
100 Photos
Created 10 June 2010
90 Photos
Created 1 June 2010
67 Photos
Created 19 May 2010
59 Photos
Created 19 May 2010
89 Photos
Created 19 May 2010
119 Photos
Created 19 May 2010
74 Photos
Created 15 April 2010
116 Photos
Created 13 April 2010
53 Photos
Created 12 April 2010
61 Photos
Created 18 March 2010
112 Photos
Created 15 March 2010
115 Photos
Created 1 March 2010
98 Photos
Created 15 February 2010
23 Photos
Created 31 January 2010
108 Photos
Created 31 January 2010
42 Photos
Created 12 January 2010
45 Photos
Created 12 January 2010
78 Photos
Created 12 January 2010
70 Photos
Created 12 January 2010
99 Photos
Created 11 December 2009
65 Photos
Created 2 December 2009
76 Photos
Created 2 December 2009
Start of Voyage
41 Photos
Created 2 December 2009
28 Photos
Created 4 November 2009
18 Photos
Created 4 November 2009
19 Photos
Created 4 November 2009
16 Photos
Created 4 November 2009
11 Photos
Created 4 November 2009
LiveAboards for 1 Week
30 Photos
Created 25 October 2009
18 months in labor at Alwoplast
68 Photos
Created 4 October 2009