aVida

Athens to Santorini, Greece with MarkJ

30 September 2011
rl
20110919-0929 Athens to Santorini, Greece w MarkJ

You know you've found a true best friend when you enjoy each other's company, sailing days on end into heavy winds and huge waves. We found just that when MarkJ joined us for 10 days bouncing around the Cyclades Islands of Greece.

MarkJ is one of our closest friends, a good-natured, intelligent, humorous man we have known for almost 12 years now. After a day of down time catching up on each other's lives and sorting through purchased provisions he shipped with him, we toured Athens via a hop on hop off tour bus. We visited the major famed ruins of the Acropolis, the Parthenon, Ancient Agora, Temple of Zeus, the National Archeological Museum, Theatre of Dionysos, walked the Plakas, and googled at many Greek gods. Every evening we chilled and played music, card games or watched a movie, danced, and quite frankly were eager to be just silly together.

After several days of Athens overload, we were ready to set sail. We knew from the weather forecast the meltemi winds were to kick in and we would be in for some wild rides for the next week or so. These Northerly winds are characterized by their noticeably cigar shaped clouds that hover above the hills and mountains, and are a result of a gradient pressure from low and high pressure areas from the surrounding lands spilling into the Med. They begin their blows in June/July, reaching full strength by August and supposedly should lessen by end of September to October. However, for the next week plus they stuck around to greet us almost daily.

Our next anchorage was in a bay overlooking the Temple of Poseidon off the mainland after a healthy long day sail. Of course we hiked the temple, and then found a small family owned resto for a huge fresh grilled Dorado fish as the main course.

The next morning, we reefed aVida preparing for the forecasted 25 knot winds. The weather was somewhat cooler with some rain. We anchored off Kea and hiked up into the town which was a long walk upwards and perched upon the cliffs. Lunch at a Taberna and then an evening sail to Kithnos. We had some difficulty finding a suitable anchorage with very little light, as nightfall was approaching.... And as you can imagine none of us got very much sleep. It sure doesn't help having anchored with little moonlight, positioned in a narrow bay, and surrounded by a rocky shoreline by so many unknown feet away.

The next morning we set sail again, thankful we were not as close to the rocky shore as we thought. The winds increased to over thirty knots and the waves were probably 12 footers, very steep and close together. Mark made the call to turn back to our previous anchorage... there was no reason to suffer through this for the day. They say it's not so much the boat handling in heavy conditions you worry about - it's more the crew on board weathering it out.

So, anchored off Kithnos was a safe move, but the bay itself very barren. We walked the town and its mountains, which were both completely desolate, only with a spatter of empty vacation villas and not a Taberna in site. We chilled, tried our hand at fishing off the boat, swam, read, enjoyed a homemade meal, and watched a movie.

Next stop was Mikonos! And it was a long wavy and windy sail. We successfully docked off the quay and upon arrival finally took a shower, and then hit the town for an evening walk through its narrow alley-ways , white-walled building and stone surfaces webbed with white paint. They call the heart of the island "Little Venice" where swarms of hot spots and restos are engulfed along the shoreline. Drinks, dinner, music, and dancing in the evening (and for MarkJ the entire night!).

With aVida safely tied to a dock, we took a ferry to Delos the next day, a small island nearby known for having one of the most important archeological sites -the birthplace of the twins Apollo and Artemis from the 8th century B.C., with no population, and surrounded by the bustling other Cyclades Islands. A true soothing contrast to the relentless liveliness of Mikonos. Back on board after a meal at a beachside resto in Mikonos, cards and bed.

From Mikonos we sailed to Naxos, working our way SE. Anchored in the bay after several tries, we ventured into the town, found a quaint resto for dinner, with a hot dessert from a hot Greek donut man, then back on the boat. MarkJ was in heaven with his handmade donut treats made by this Greek god.

We rented a car to explore Mikonos, through cliffy winding roads, to see Mount Zeus. Lunch beachside, movie on board, and watching the weather as the winds increased.

Our sail the next day was kind to us. Despite the increased winds, they were behind us, allowing us good speed as well as smoother sailing. Our destination was Thira, aka the picturesque Santorini. We had trouble finding an anchorage close to the town because the depths were too vast due to the huge cliffy coastline. We settled on a very protected quaint anchorage in a town called Akrotiri situated on the SE side of the Fira touristy area town- only a 15 minute taxi ride away.

Santorini will take your breath away with its surreal landscape that was probably the biggest eruption in history. Rumor has it this was the lost city of Atlantis. Views from the edge of the caldera over the multicolored cliffs of its central town called Fira are breathtaking, and at night the edge is a frozen cascade of lights that eclipses the display of gold shops and restos in the streets behind.

Mark and MarkJ call me the cat woman. Just about everywhere we walked in Greece we were approached with many cats. I seemed to attract them. They were not just eager to eat my tidbits of leftover meals, they just wanted attention and affection... don't we all.

After dinner out, we spent our last night chillin again, with music, dancing, and just having fun among friends. Of course the next day was departure day for MarkJ and an emotional one for us all. We say we would like to keep MarkJ inside our pockets and let him out whenever we need a good laugh. He says we are one of his closest friends. We always will treasure our adventures we have had together and look forward to our next MarkJ "fix" in the future.
Vessel Name: aVida
Vessel Make/Model: Atlantic 57
Hailing Port: Akron, Ohio
Crew: Mark Sinreich, Rita Leone
Extra: text...
aVida's Photos - Main
117 Photos
Created 10 June 2014
118 Photos
Created 8 May 2014
120 Photos
Created 19 February 2014
21 Photos
Created 16 February 2014
115 Photos
Created 30 January 2014
30 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
117 Photos
Created 5 November 2013
100 Photos
Created 30 September 2013
116 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
105 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
91 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
118 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
52 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
100 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
106 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
118 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
116 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
108 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
113 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
98 Photos
Created 9 March 2013
119 Photos
Created 9 March 2013
117 Photos
Created 22 January 2013
77 Photos
Created 22 January 2013
94 Photos
Created 12 January 2013
108 Photos
Created 18 November 2012
120 Photos
Created 18 November 2012
120 Photos
Created 18 November 2012
120 Photos
Created 8 November 2012
119 Photos
Created 14 October 2012
44 Photos
Created 7 October 2012
40 Photos
Created 11 September 2012
76 Photos
Created 30 August 2012
110 Photos
Created 4 August 2012
116 Photos
Created 15 April 2012
50 Photos
Created 15 April 2012
87 Photos
Created 14 April 2012
97 Photos
Created 14 April 2012
71 Photos
Created 21 November 2011
74 Photos
Created 21 November 2011
94 Photos
Created 21 November 2011
80 Photos
Created 21 November 2011
14 Photos
Created 21 November 2011
70 Photos
Created 17 October 2011
120 Photos
Created 14 October 2011
68 Photos
Created 11 October 2011
68 Photos
Created 11 October 2011
97 Photos
Created 11 October 2011
65 Photos
Created 1 September 2011
114 Photos
Created 1 September 2011
78 Photos
Created 26 August 2011
52 Photos
Created 26 August 2011
64 Photos
Created 25 August 2011
63 Photos
Created 22 August 2011
72 Photos
Created 28 July 2011
70 Photos
Created 28 July 2011
81 Photos
Created 28 July 2011
44 Photos
Created 28 July 2011
78 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
77 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
12 Photos
Created 30 June 2011
120 Photos
Created 30 June 2011
103 Photos
Created 30 June 2011
46 Photos
Created 29 January 2011
90 Photos
Created 29 January 2011
95 Photos
Created 29 January 2011
75 Photos
Created 28 January 2011
15 Photos
Created 28 January 2011
36 Photos
Created 5 January 2011
112 Photos
Created 4 January 2011
83 Photos
Created 4 January 2011
89 Photos
Created 4 January 2011
38 Photos
Created 4 January 2011
51 Photos
Created 4 January 2011
64 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
34 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
42 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
36 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
55 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
30 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
66 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
35 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 17 November 2010
70 Photos
Created 17 November 2010
69 Photos
Created 26 October 2010
86 Photos
Created 26 October 2010
47 Photos
Created 26 October 2010
47 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 1 October 2010
71 Photos
Created 1 October 2010
16 Photos
Created 1 October 2010
82 Photos
Created 1 October 2010
107 Photos
Created 1 October 2010
105 Photos
Created 23 August 2010
114 Photos
Created 23 August 2010
50 Photos
Created 13 August 2010
88 Photos
Created 13 August 2010
106 Photos
Created 13 August 2010
84 Photos
Created 13 August 2010
76 Photos
Created 13 August 2010
24 Photos
Created 13 August 2010
16 Photos
Created 4 July 2010
76 Photos
Created 4 July 2010
60 Photos
Created 4 July 2010
68 Photos
Created 4 July 2010
77 Photos
Created 10 June 2010
78 Photos
Created 10 June 2010
100 Photos
Created 10 June 2010
90 Photos
Created 1 June 2010
67 Photos
Created 19 May 2010
59 Photos
Created 19 May 2010
89 Photos
Created 19 May 2010
119 Photos
Created 19 May 2010
74 Photos
Created 15 April 2010
116 Photos
Created 13 April 2010
53 Photos
Created 12 April 2010
61 Photos
Created 18 March 2010
112 Photos
Created 15 March 2010
115 Photos
Created 1 March 2010
98 Photos
Created 15 February 2010
23 Photos
Created 31 January 2010
108 Photos
Created 31 January 2010
42 Photos
Created 12 January 2010
45 Photos
Created 12 January 2010
78 Photos
Created 12 January 2010
70 Photos
Created 12 January 2010
99 Photos
Created 11 December 2009
65 Photos
Created 2 December 2009
76 Photos
Created 2 December 2009
Start of Voyage
41 Photos
Created 2 December 2009
28 Photos
Created 4 November 2009
18 Photos
Created 4 November 2009
19 Photos
Created 4 November 2009
16 Photos
Created 4 November 2009
11 Photos
Created 4 November 2009
LiveAboards for 1 Week
30 Photos
Created 25 October 2009
18 months in labor at Alwoplast
68 Photos
Created 4 October 2009