aVida

A Retreat to North and South Cyprus, Greece and Turkey

12 November 2011
ms
0111106-11 Cyprus, North and South

This week is the biggest national holiday in Turkey, and most businesses shut down for almost a week. Work on aVida, which is on the hard in the boatyard, will cease, and it is chilly here, so we decided to take a side trip to Cyprus.

Cyprus is a large island divided between the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, and the Greek Cyprus in the south. Cyprus historically has been invaded, occupied and battered by numerous empires and armies over thousands of years. In the past century, it has been an English colony alternating with Greek rule a few times. The north of Cyprus has had many Turks living there, the Turkish Cypriots, due to proximity to Turkey. The Greek Cypriots inhabit the south. Both sides are fiercely Cypriots, and fiercely loyal to their parent nations. In 1974, Turkey waged a bloody armed invasion of the north, claiming this territory for itself. There is now a militarized dividing line through the country, and right through the middle of the largest and capital city of Nicosia (Greek name), also called Lefkosia by the Turks. The Turks began changing the names of towns, archaeological sites, geo features, etc to erase the Greek history and culture, and "Turkeyfy" everything. Over the years since, there have been numerous killings and incidents, but mostly peaceful for the past 7 years or so.

The United Nations and most of the world condemn Turkey for this, and do not recognize the Turkish occupation. The Greeks call the north the "Occupied Turkish Territory of Northern Cyprus". The Turks constructed a lighted flag and Turkish title on the face of a huge mountain that faces the Greek side of Nicosia- it must be ½ mile long, and visible from many miles away across the entire valley. It is amazing that the island maps we get on the Turk side omit any detail of the south, and vice versa. As you can imagine, the enmity between the sides is still severe.

So we arrive from Turkey into the north because no flights go to the south. It is dark, and we rent a car and drive into Nicosia wandering around for a while, only to learn that the hotel we booked is on the Greek side, as the city is surprisingly divided between two countries, and our rental car is not allowed to travel into Greek territory. So, we drive to one of the several militarized checkpoints, park the car, and walk across the ½ mile wide DMZ, passing Turkish security checks, a UN checkpoint, and then Greek immigration and customs controls. From there the Greeks call us a taxi and take us to our hotel, quite late. It is clear we did not do enough research about what we were getting into, but all is OK.

We walk the lively and charming streets of the old town inside the ancient fortified walls for the evening, find a nice dinner in a restaurant on top of a building with a view of the town and the giant Turkish flag on the mountain. We are the only customers, and after dinner we spent a long time discussing Cyprus politics, Muslims, and religion in general- very insightful. We agree that nations and religions divide people, indoctrinate and infuse them with dogmas to maintain power and control; but other than that, most people everywhere are good people with goodwill.

In the am, we rent yet another car, for the Greek side. We now have 3 rental cars; 1 in Turkey at the airport, 1 in N Cyprus and 1 in the south. Changing our itinerary a bit, we will spend 3 more nights traveling the Greek side end to end, then return to the north for 1 night. The drive to Paphos at the far west end is scenic. Some valleys are covered with primarily coniferous trees, of course cypress trees, olive trees, etc. Others look like the savannas of Africa, with grassy lowlands and sparse trees. The hills are rocky and barren except for scrub brush, with dark red soil everywhere. We stop at Aphrodites birthplace, on a picturesque cliff overlooking the Med, with beaches and cliffs stretching far in both directions. After checking into the hotel in Paphos, we walk the town and the harbor, and explore the old fort, etc.

AM we drive to Larnaka. This is a large town, with a commercial harbor and port, and also a long beach area with a rather developed string of 5 story hotels, many restaurants and bars that is tourist oriented. At the end of the strip is a very interesting medieval castle with many historical exhibits and artifacts. Reconstructions of ships from 300BC with their cargos of large pottery amoras full of wine and almonds are on display. As with all castles in the Med, this one has been home to a succession of invading empires and cultures. After an afternoon nap, back out again for dinner, and then walking the back streets of the town we find "Mikes Bar" for a last night cap. We meet a retired Turkish Army Colonel who is now living on the Greek side. He is an engineer, and is working on an invention of a motor that will for 100's of years on the rare-earth magnets inside of it, with no other energy input. I tried to explain that he is describing a "perpetual motion machine", a concept that violates the fundamental physical laws of conservation of energy. So he runs home and brings me his drawings, offering me 50% stake in the business if I help him develop it. Sorry, but no thanks. Of course we discuss Cyprus politics, and due to his military connections he actually has a lot more information and insight into the dynamics of US, UK, Greek and other forces that make it what it is. The new news is that S Cyprus has recently discovered what is estimated to be one of or the largest reserve of natural gas in the world, and this will drastically shape the politics to come.

AM we drive to Ayia Napa and search for a hotel. This is clearly a summer tourist resort, with lots of resto-bars, night clubs, and hotels, the great majority of which are boarded up for the season. It takes us a while to find a decent hotel, and it is more of a large resort with beautiful pool area, large beach area with masses of tiki huts and lounge chairs etc. It is very busy here, full of mostly geriatric tour bus groups from UK, Germany, etc. So, we lounge and relax. At the far eastern end of Cyprus,there is a huge bluff with a lighthouse. The shore approaching this is eroded into numerous caves and tunnels, and it is quite a thrill to climb around, in and through these formations. The view of the crystal clear sea alternating turquoise blue over sand, navy blue over deep, and black over weeds, with the caves and rock strata alternating white, red and black in the background is stunning.

AM back to Nicosia, to return the car. The very nice rental car owner drove us back to the DMZ, we walk back across the DMZ to find our other rental car still waiting there. Then we drive to Kyrenia on the north coast. Very scenic, with a huge castle complex and other historical sites, and hotels and restaurants surrounding an old harbor full of picturesque fishing boats. The view from the roof of our "White Pearl" hotel is fantastic. The castle is immense, with numerous passages down deep into dungeons and storage areas. After a nap, we venture into the back streets again (away from the more touristy places on the harbor front) and we stumble onto a gem of an a very old estate that has been converted into a tavern, where we find seats right in front of a giant fireplace for drinks. The music is a great collection of world music, which then turns into salsa music. A very nice couple joins at the fireplace, and we enjoy good conversation and much salsa dancing together. Then dinner on the waterfront, and bed. It seems everywhere we go, we find salsa.

The trip back to Nicosia and the fight back to Izmir. It is late so we decide to find a hotel in Izmir, Turkey's 2nd largest port city. It is jammed with traffic, and rather cold here. On the waterfront packed with probably 100 restaurants and bars, we find good food, and a live band to listen to until late. In the AM back to the waterfront for a good breakfast (because we overslept for the hotel breakfast), and then the 2 hour drive back to Didim Marina at nightfall.

We decide to find dinner in Altinkum, the beach resort area of Didim. We are the only customers at this Chinese restaurant, so we get 100% personal attention from the owner/chef. He has 1 helper, a mute and deaf young man who has been with him for 6 years- they have an evident deep trust and relationship, communicating by hand signals. The owner sits with us for a long time after dinner. He is a Muslim, but very open minded. I ask him why the "good Muslims" do not "police their own" and stand up against the Jihadists. He says that Muslims are indoctrinated to be meek and submissive, which makes them pawns of religion, government and fanatics. The omnipresent broadcasts of prayer music from every mosque (there are Many) 5 times a day over every city and village reinforces this. He informs us that the President of Turkey is himself a Jihadist, and is working to push that agenda into the army and government which until now has been largely secular. It is rather amazing how many people here we have been able to engage in constructive discussions about these complex and touchy topics, and how much insight we are gaining from these experiences. I guess this is a very big part of the appeal of world travel, beyond sights, places, history, and nature. We tip the owner very generously, and as we are walking away, we see him hand the money to the young man. Truly a heartwarming experience, and the end to another great trip full of experiences of all types.
Vessel Name: aVida
Vessel Make/Model: Atlantic 57
Hailing Port: Akron, Ohio
Crew: Mark Sinreich, Rita Leone
Extra: text...
aVida's Photos - Main
117 Photos
Created 10 June 2014
118 Photos
Created 8 May 2014
120 Photos
Created 19 February 2014
21 Photos
Created 16 February 2014
115 Photos
Created 30 January 2014
30 Photos
Created 22 November 2013
117 Photos
Created 5 November 2013
100 Photos
Created 30 September 2013
116 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
105 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
91 Photos
Created 15 September 2013
118 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
52 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
100 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
106 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
118 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
116 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
108 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
113 Photos
Created 3 August 2013
98 Photos
Created 9 March 2013
119 Photos
Created 9 March 2013
117 Photos
Created 22 January 2013
77 Photos
Created 22 January 2013
94 Photos
Created 12 January 2013
108 Photos
Created 18 November 2012
120 Photos
Created 18 November 2012
120 Photos
Created 18 November 2012
120 Photos
Created 8 November 2012
119 Photos
Created 14 October 2012
44 Photos
Created 7 October 2012
40 Photos
Created 11 September 2012
76 Photos
Created 30 August 2012
110 Photos
Created 4 August 2012
116 Photos
Created 15 April 2012
50 Photos
Created 15 April 2012
87 Photos
Created 14 April 2012
97 Photos
Created 14 April 2012
71 Photos
Created 21 November 2011
74 Photos
Created 21 November 2011
94 Photos
Created 21 November 2011
80 Photos
Created 21 November 2011
14 Photos
Created 21 November 2011
70 Photos
Created 17 October 2011
120 Photos
Created 14 October 2011
68 Photos
Created 11 October 2011
68 Photos
Created 11 October 2011
97 Photos
Created 11 October 2011
65 Photos
Created 1 September 2011
114 Photos
Created 1 September 2011
78 Photos
Created 26 August 2011
52 Photos
Created 26 August 2011
64 Photos
Created 25 August 2011
63 Photos
Created 22 August 2011
72 Photos
Created 28 July 2011
70 Photos
Created 28 July 2011
81 Photos
Created 28 July 2011
44 Photos
Created 28 July 2011
78 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
77 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
12 Photos
Created 30 June 2011
120 Photos
Created 30 June 2011
103 Photos
Created 30 June 2011
46 Photos
Created 29 January 2011
90 Photos
Created 29 January 2011
95 Photos
Created 29 January 2011
75 Photos
Created 28 January 2011
15 Photos
Created 28 January 2011
36 Photos
Created 5 January 2011
112 Photos
Created 4 January 2011
83 Photos
Created 4 January 2011
89 Photos
Created 4 January 2011
38 Photos
Created 4 January 2011
51 Photos
Created 4 January 2011
64 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
34 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
42 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
36 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
55 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
30 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
66 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
35 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 17 November 2010
70 Photos
Created 17 November 2010
69 Photos
Created 26 October 2010
86 Photos
Created 26 October 2010
47 Photos
Created 26 October 2010
47 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 1 October 2010
71 Photos
Created 1 October 2010
16 Photos
Created 1 October 2010
82 Photos
Created 1 October 2010
107 Photos
Created 1 October 2010
105 Photos
Created 23 August 2010
114 Photos
Created 23 August 2010
50 Photos
Created 13 August 2010
88 Photos
Created 13 August 2010
106 Photos
Created 13 August 2010
84 Photos
Created 13 August 2010
76 Photos
Created 13 August 2010
24 Photos
Created 13 August 2010
16 Photos
Created 4 July 2010
76 Photos
Created 4 July 2010
60 Photos
Created 4 July 2010
68 Photos
Created 4 July 2010
77 Photos
Created 10 June 2010
78 Photos
Created 10 June 2010
100 Photos
Created 10 June 2010
90 Photos
Created 1 June 2010
67 Photos
Created 19 May 2010
59 Photos
Created 19 May 2010
89 Photos
Created 19 May 2010
119 Photos
Created 19 May 2010
74 Photos
Created 15 April 2010
116 Photos
Created 13 April 2010
53 Photos
Created 12 April 2010
61 Photos
Created 18 March 2010
112 Photos
Created 15 March 2010
115 Photos
Created 1 March 2010
98 Photos
Created 15 February 2010
23 Photos
Created 31 January 2010
108 Photos
Created 31 January 2010
42 Photos
Created 12 January 2010
45 Photos
Created 12 January 2010
78 Photos
Created 12 January 2010
70 Photos
Created 12 January 2010
99 Photos
Created 11 December 2009
65 Photos
Created 2 December 2009
76 Photos
Created 2 December 2009
Start of Voyage
41 Photos
Created 2 December 2009
28 Photos
Created 4 November 2009
18 Photos
Created 4 November 2009
19 Photos
Created 4 November 2009
16 Photos
Created 4 November 2009
11 Photos
Created 4 November 2009
LiveAboards for 1 Week
30 Photos
Created 25 October 2009
18 months in labor at Alwoplast
68 Photos
Created 4 October 2009