Avocet Sails the Caribbean

Sue and Bryan island-hop through the Windwards and Leewards.

23 February 2009 | Oak Beach, NY
04 June 2008 | Bermuda - docked at Peter Outerbridge's house
24 May 2008 | Red Hook
21 May 2008 | Virgin Gorda
21 May 2008 | Virgin Gorda
21 May 2008 | Little Bay
21 May 2008 | Philipsburg
20 May 2008 | Codrington
20 May 2008 | Guadeloupe
17 May 2008 | Portsmouth
17 May 2008 | Portsmouth
17 May 2008 | Roseau
16 May 2008 | St. Pierre
02 May 2008
02 May 2008
01 May 2008
08 April 2008 | Tobago Cays
08 April 2008 | Tobago Cays
06 April 2008 | Carriacou
06 April 2008 | Grenada

Anticipation

02 January 2008 | Tucson
Bryan
The picture on the header at the top says it all doesn't it? Crystal clear turquoise water, blazing white sand, and the boat resting peacefully at anchor.... I wish I could spend more time daydreaming and putting myself into that image but it's all we can do to get everything done and squared away here in Arizona. We are in our offices glued to our computers processing photos, uploading to various agencies, and otherwise busy tying up all the loose ends that a long trip entails.

Come Feb 19th that will all change. On that lovely day we board a plane and head south to Grenada. After catching glimpses of some of the islands, beaches, and that incredible water from the air, we'll step onto the tarmac and right into a face full of that warm, balmy air that says 'Caribbean' like nothing else. We'll catch a cab to the marina and then Blam!, we'll be right back in the soup when we get to the boat and remember that we still have to pull the old engine and install a new one, all the while living aboard with the boat up on blocks (no fun, trust me). Please let this be the last time I spend days bent over a greasy motor, for a few years anyway, please...

(Blog just started. Always read from the bottom up to stay in chronological order. Much more coming)
Comments
Vessel Name: AVOCET
Vessel Make/Model: 1974 Grampian 30 sloop
Hailing Port: Oak Beach, NY which is just inside Fire Island Inlet on the south coast of Long Island.
Crew: Bryan Allen and Susan Degginger. For the last leg home from Bermuda, Andy Arnold will also join us.
About:
Sue has done a few overnights out of sight of land but will make her first real blue water passages in 2008. St. Thomas to Bermuda is 850 nautical miles and Bermuda to Long Island, NY is 650 nm for a grand total of 1500 nm or 1725 statute miles. [...]
Extra: here is my photography site: http://www.bryan-allen.com/ Here is Sue's photography site: http://www.illumeimage.com/

The Crew

Who: Bryan Allen and Susan Degginger. For the last leg home from Bermuda, Andy Arnold will also join us.
Port: Oak Beach, NY which is just inside Fire Island Inlet on the south coast of Long Island.