Away with Away

29 January 2015 | Kuna Yala, Panama
28 January 2015 | East Lemmons, Kuna Yala
27 January 2015 | East Lemmons, Kuna Yala
26 January 2015 | Banedup and Elefante, Kuna Yala
24 January 2015 | Green Island, Kuna Yala
23 January 2015 | Nargana, Panama, San Blas
21 January 2015 | Sabudupored Island, Kuna Yala
16 March 2014 | Isla Bastimientos, Panama
15 March 2014 | Bay of Almirante, Panama
14 March 2014 | Tierra Obsura, Almirante Bay, Panama
13 March 2014 | South End ofIsla Bastimientos, Panama
12 March 2014 | Escudo de Varaguas, Panama
11 March 2014 | Crossing Approach to Panama Canal
10 March 2014 | Portobelo, Panama
09 March 2014 | Turtle Bay Marina and Portobello
08 March 2014 | Punta San Blas and the Costa Arriba
04 March 2014 | West Hollandes, Kuna Yala, Panama
28 February 2014 | Coco Banderos West and East
24 February 2014 | Tupile, Kuna Yala, Panama
23 February 2014 | Tupile, Kuna Yala

Back at Anchor in Kuna Yala

21 January 2015 | Sabudupored Island, Kuna Yala
Winds 15, Skies cloudy
Well, it's been quite a while since we have posted to our Away with Away blog.

During the past 8 months, we have traversed parts of the Erie Canal in New York, traveled across Europe by caravan/camper, sailed along the Adriatic coast in Croatia, enjoyed visiting our kids and grandkids in New York, and hung out in Bocas del Toro, Panama working on Away, just to list a few activities.

Two weeks ago, we prepared to leave Bocas del Toro for the San Blas for a second season of sailing Away in the land and waters of Kuna Yala. This year we decided to invite friends to join us for the trip, so we set off with 6 of us from Bocas del Toro on January 10th. The weather was not great but it was improving. We decided to stop on our way in Bluefield and Portobello, before going on to Por Venir to check into Kuna Yala.

Almost before we left, as we left the harbor and were checking on sails, navigation instruments, and the boat in general, we had a brief but critical reminder not to take anything for granted, including whether or not one can see the navigation chartplotter with polarized sunglasses. Turns out you can't, and as a result we narrowly avoided a serious voyage ending meeting with an underwater reef. As always, with sailing as with life, problems develop as a result of a combination of factors, never just one, and this early encounter was a reminder that assumptions, if faulty, can be dangerous--always ask the question.

Having been given a second chance, we were careful the rest of the trip, timing our arrival into Portobello and Por Venir in the afternoon, and then enjoying a couple of days at anchor at Elefante and then Morbedup anchorages before guests left by panga back to Panama City and the States.

All in all, a total of 11 days, with no good opportunities for reprovisioning in Kuna Yala, and no water maker to replace the water used. Tomorrow we will go to Rio Azucar to fill tanks, and then to Nargana where we hope we can nab some vegetables in the market there.
Comments
Vessel Name: Away
Vessel Make/Model: Dufour 433
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: Don Karna

Away

Who: Don Karna
Port: San Francisco