Away with Away

29 January 2015 | Kuna Yala, Panama
28 January 2015 | East Lemmons, Kuna Yala
27 January 2015 | East Lemmons, Kuna Yala
26 January 2015 | Banedup and Elefante, Kuna Yala
24 January 2015 | Green Island, Kuna Yala
23 January 2015 | Nargana, Panama, San Blas
21 January 2015 | Sabudupored Island, Kuna Yala
16 March 2014 | Isla Bastimientos, Panama
15 March 2014 | Bay of Almirante, Panama
14 March 2014 | Tierra Obsura, Almirante Bay, Panama
13 March 2014 | South End ofIsla Bastimientos, Panama
12 March 2014 | Escudo de Varaguas, Panama
11 March 2014 | Crossing Approach to Panama Canal
10 March 2014 | Portobelo, Panama
09 March 2014 | Turtle Bay Marina and Portobello
08 March 2014 | Punta San Blas and the Costa Arriba
04 March 2014 | West Hollandes, Kuna Yala, Panama
28 February 2014 | Coco Banderos West and East
24 February 2014 | Tupile, Kuna Yala, Panama
23 February 2014 | Tupile, Kuna Yala

Making sail to the Robeson chain of islands

29 January 2015 | Kuna Yala, Panama
Winds high and gusting, following seas
Today our friends from England, Fred and Beryl, arrive at the boat by 4 wheel drive and then a 45 minute panga ride to our boat. We just talked to them and their ride in Panama City did not show up, so plan b for today is in effect. This will involve our pulling up anchor and sailing toward Carti where we will then pick them up.

The wind is coming up so we make the decision to move out sooner than planned. We negotiate lifting anchor around the Italian boat that has anchored and has swung very close to where our anchor is located. But we are successful and start our sail towards Carti to pick up Fred and Beryl. The sail is dead downwind so in the interest of time we decide to motor most of the way and also charge our batteries.

After a number of phone calls, we are able to get a panga to bring Fred and Beryl to our new location on Sugdup, and after quick hellos and hugs, we lift anchor to sail over to a small island on the western edge of the Bahia de San Blas, in the Robeson chain of islands near Gerti, so that we arrive on the island in good light.

After anchoring at Gerti, we go ashore with our friends on the boat Blow Me Away, Aaron and Lyla, who are from Kansas City, along with their friends Dennis and Pam who are from Maine. We visit a master mola maker on the Island by the name of Ingi, who shows everyone some of her beautiful work. Of course there are some too beautiful to pass up, so Karna and Beryl each come back with a few of their favorites.

We then make arrangements with Bredio to eat dinner on the island that evening in their small one table restaurant. The menu is fresh fish, banana/plantain, and yucca, and costs $3 per person. While there we make arrangements with Bredio for him to take us up the Mandinga River to a Kuna Village on the mainland on a panga the next day.
Comments
Vessel Name: Away
Vessel Make/Model: Dufour 433
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: Don Karna

Away

Who: Don Karna
Port: San Francisco