Little Boat, Big Dreams

Now, only have Bristol 24 -- Sanderling.

08 July 2022
13 September 2021
11 May 2021
20 April 2019 | Reedville, VA
27 May 2018 | Reedville, VA
14 May 2018 | Reedville, VA
22 December 2017
10 December 2017 | Reedville, VA
03 December 2017
02 December 2017
01 December 2017 | Reedville, VA

Well, Phooey

27 March 2010
Took off with the grandson/able-bodied-seaman on what was supposed to be a simple, 60-mile relocation of Angels Wings from her slip in Colonial Beach to Jennings Boatyard in Reedville, only to find ourselves beating directly into a frustratingly stiff breeze that only grew stronger as the afternoon wore on... whitecaps everywhere, and even in the river 2-3 chop hindered forward progress. With a reef thrown in (hastily jury rigged after the cheek-block exploded), we were making 4.5-5.5kts through the water, but only averaging about one per hour made good. Even though she pinches up nicely, beating is not Wings best point of sail and although she stayed generally dry and amazingly comfortable (many folks think we're lying on that score), we weren't getting anywhere, so with even less cooperative weather focasted we eventually made a 180 for home, retracing our 6-hour upwind trek in about an hour and twenty minutes -- arriving at about mach 3 as we blew into the inlet with following seas, grandson white-knuckling it on the helm and a 16-20kt wind, rounded up in the rear of the marina and let go the anchor to give us enough time to tidy up a bit before docking... whew... we'll try again another day !
Comments
Vessel Name: Sanderling
Vessel Make/Model: Bristol-24
Hailing Port: Colonial Beach, Virginia, USA
About:
C [...]
Extra: The skipper went out and found another Bristol 24 -- this one, Sanderling, is mechanically in better shape than Angels Wings, with newer rigging and motor, but still a small basic boat with no pretentions about high-society.