Little Boat, Big Dreams

Now, only have Bristol 24 -- Sanderling.

08 July 2022
13 September 2021
11 May 2021
20 April 2019 | Reedville, VA
27 May 2018 | Reedville, VA
14 May 2018 | Reedville, VA
22 December 2017
10 December 2017 | Reedville, VA
03 December 2017
02 December 2017
01 December 2017 | Reedville, VA

On the Hard Again…

15 June 2010
With apologies to Willie Nelson, Angels Wings is on the hard again...

After several abortive and frustrating attempts to get hauled at our local marina, we eventually decided to move Wings to Jennings Boatyard down near the Bay, a boatyard where the skipper had a liveaboard ketch hauled several times nearly twenty years before. Still under the same family ownership, Jennings doesn't purport to be a marina, but rather a boatyard. Although there are the usual slips available monthly or annually, the stock and trade remains boat-building and refurbishment - no restaurant, no night-club, no tiki-bar; just several large sheds for building or major refurbishing, one public restroom, several acres of haul out space for the dozens of boats on the hard, and the ever-present expertise of Larry Jennings -- should an owner need to order supplies, contract for complex repairs, or just need some friendly advice on a pet project.

We were please to see that two years in the water had not encouraged the stubborn marine growth we'd had to contend with last time. Wings' hull still seemed in reassuringly good shape and the power-wash got most of the growth off, so the bottom paint had done its duty. We quickly stripped most of the equipment out of Wings' cabin because we expect her to be out of the water for 12-18 months as we leisurely piddle through several projects, both to rigging and hull, and also make a few changes in the cabin as well as some repairs where the deck has gotten spongy. Already it feels better just having Wings at this tranquil, rural crossroads of transoceanic cruisers, working watermen and dreaming weekenders like ourselves -- the beguiling aroma of epoxy, sawdust and salt air invites us.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sanderling
Vessel Make/Model: Bristol-24
Hailing Port: Colonial Beach, Virginia, USA
About:
C [...]
Extra: The skipper went out and found another Bristol 24 -- this one, Sanderling, is mechanically in better shape than Angels Wings, with newer rigging and motor, but still a small basic boat with no pretentions about high-society.