The Travels of Aztec

Vessel Name: Aztec
Vessel Make/Model: Cape North Cutter (by Brewer)
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA
Crew: David & Carolyn Cammack
Extra: Aztec departed Stockton Sailing Club in the fall of '06 and sailed with the Baja-Ha-Ha to Mexico
30 March 2011 | El Cid Marina
28 March 2011 | Pacific Ocean
25 March 2011 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
24 March 2011 | La Cruz anchorage
01 March 2007 | The Mexican Riviera
10 November 2006 | Cabo to La Paz & Mazatlan
31 October 2006 | San Diego on South
01 October 2006 | San Francisco Bay
01 September 2006 | Stockton Sailing Club
Recent Blog Posts
30 March 2011 | El Cid Marina

Arrive Mazatlan

Arrive El Cid Marina 1:00 pm March 30, 2011. Tied up in slip B21B behind another sailboat. This huge slip is normally used by some monster power yacht, but here we are.

28 March 2011 | Pacific Ocean

La Cruz to Mazatlan

I'm not really a "blogger". So far, I wait until I'm in the mood and then write a story about what I remember. It has been over a month since we left La Cruz, and what follows is from my notes, the log and feeble memories.

25 March 2011 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle

Puerto Vallarta

March 2011: La Cruz de Huanacaxtle

24 March 2011 | La Cruz anchorage

La Paz to Puerto Vallarta

La Paz to Puerto Vallarta March 19-23, 2011

01 March 2007 | The Mexican Riviera

Mazatlan to Mazatlan

This segment will cover most of our first season as "Real Cruisers" , as we moved from Mazatlan down the Mexican Riviera" as far south as Manzanillo, with stops coming and going in Puerto Vallarta, Camela, Barra de Navidad, and Tenacatita Bay. Check out the photos - a lot of the detail will be there. Leaving [...]

10 November 2006 | Cabo to La Paz & Mazatlan

After the Ha-Ha

Cabo San Lucas to La Paz Mid November, 2006

In the Beginning

01 September 2006 | Stockton Sailing Club
After Buying Aztec and sailing her north from Long Beach to Stockton, we did the major refit work here, finishing in the summer of 2006.

April Fools' Day, 2006: David retires... fitting, right?

Spring into Summer, 2006: David changed from being a desk-worker to being a boat-worker. Boat work is harder!

We'll skip the real details, but she got a new engine (and related engine-room stuff), some paint work, new interior upholstery, dodger & bimini, and a stern arch. This part was not particularly fun to live through, although we enjoyed living with our friends Lori & Wally for the last few months of it. If not for that, we would have actually been trying to live in the mess in the 100 degree heat wave.

This blog is being started about 4 years after we began this adventure, so we'll abbreviate it a lot to get up the the present.... in general, we've had a good experience, although it hasn't all been peaches and cream... things break (usually the NEW things), plans change, more things break, things aren't what you expect, things break, etc.

You will notice that some of the following is missing large amounts of information. We just aren't good bloggers, I guess.

A few thoughts to begin: If any of you are preparing for the SSC "Blue Water Cruise", the Baja Ha-Ha, or some other little sailing jaunt like "off to Hawaii", I recommend you make sure the ENGINE is in working order. After leaving Stockton, we MOTORED all the way to San Diego, save a few hours around the Channel Islands, and for considerable distances afterwards. That includes Points Arguelo and Conception, which we rounded at noon, hoping for an E-ticket ride. Nope. Roll in those sails & motor on!

Which brings us to sending our thanks to the Stockton Sailing Club for providing an environment that helps sailors old and young to prepare for modern 'blowboating'. We sure had our share of fun there, and we honestly miss all the hangers-out, even though we haven't kept in touch well.

We began meeting southbound sailors in Vallejo, like flocks in "The Birds" gathering for the impending Ha-Ha... On "the way out the Gate" we met with friends and our daughter in Benicia, Vallejo and Oakland, and then lost all photos from there to San Diego.

Comments

About & Links