Azulita Adventure

450S Lagoon

Vessel Name: Azulita
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 450S
Hailing Port: Cruz Bay, St. John
Recent Blog Posts
16 August 2017

Time of Contentment...and...

Have no fear, Ziggy is here still applies :-)

15 August 2017

On the Seas Again - Alboran Sea

And we're off again! Back to a beautiful day and perfect weather! For the moment anyway!! I think we are giving up on weather forecasts!! No matter how many we look at, they keep being wrong! The research does say that weather is very unpredictable in the Mediterranean West though, and that it can [...]

14 August 2017

A Little SNAFU

Smooth sailing all day yesterday...until about 9pm. Then the wind kicked up and up and up, along with the wave action. Around midnight, we decided it was time to look for potential shelter to ride out the weather. So off we went to find a marina along the Spanish coast at midnight that could fit a 14m [...]

13 August 2017

The Calm After the Storm

What a difference a day makes :-) !!!

12 August 2017

Part II - Straits of Gibraltar - Success!!

So far the wildest ride around a point we've had on this trip, and I think that goes down in history for both of us!! Confused seas, wind over tide, 32 knots coming around the point of Cape Trafalgar. I know when LOML says, here comes a big one, he isn't kidding!! Brace!!

12 August 2017

Part I of the Straits of Gibraltar Passage

We are so excited to be off!! Goodbye Portugal! It’s so good to be back at sea in the fresh air and sunshine!! Beautiful day so far, wind and seas are calm and the sun is shining 😃 Ziggy has the music going, fishing lines are in the water, and we are off! Couldn't be a more glorious day :-)

A Little SNAFU

14 August 2017
Smooth sailing all day yesterday...until about 9pm. Then the wind kicked up and up and up, along with the wave action. Around midnight, we decided it was time to look for potential shelter to ride out the weather. So off we went to find a marina along the Spanish coast at midnight that could fit a 14m catamaran. After a couple of attempts, we found one in Almerimar.

Course change and off we went toward the shore, still a few miles out. With wind of 25-30 knots, waves and current against us, we made it into the marina around 3am. The folks working at the marina couldn't have been nicer and more helpful in helping us dock Azulita in almost 30 knot winds at 3am at the fuel dock as a holding spot until "morning".

We decided it was only appropriate to keep our promise to Jim and to crack open the beers he left for us to celebrate the passage through the Straits :-) And over cocktails, the two very detailed and perfectionist captains on board talked about our night entry and docking, critiquing what could have been done better. And really the whole conversation focused on the amount of throttle needed on the engines to maneuver the boat to the dock...with really no further thought to the conversation than that. So off to bed we go

Around 10am we get ready to head back out to sea, having fueled and watered up. As we are taking to the port office and locals on the dock, they told us the "local weather" and explained what we are experiencing is call el Golpe - "the hit" of the force of the wind and waves. They said leaving in this today and making our way around the next point would make the Straits look like childs play!!! So we decided the prudent answer was to wait out the day and let the weather abate over the day (we hope anyway, who knows what reality will be vs the forecast as we've learned!!!)

So, the next step is to move off the fuel dock to a berth in the marina. I say berth, but really all that means here is which two boats to park between! It is med mooring, which means stern to (back in). And of course we have winds gusting 30 again!! But, we have two dockhands helping us with the lines and ready to meet us on the other end of the marina to help. So off we go off the dock...almost... it took full throttle to get the boat to pivot off the dock in the winds...hmm

But we get off, grumble grumble between Alan and Ziggy... and we head to the spot we're supposed to back into. So the logical thing to do is to square off the boat to the spot and back in, throw the lines to the folks waiting ever so kindly to help and voila! Well, that's the way it's supposed to work!! :-) As we go to reverse, nothing happens and Ziggy hears click click click on the starboard engine ... another hmmm.

So gusts of 30 in a tight marina with a 14 meter catamaran...wind carries us pretty darn quick!!! Anyway, it quickly becomes apparent we have an engine issue on the startboard side. No worries, now that we've figured that out, we figure out how to compensate for that and finally make our way into the slip with just a couple of attempts :-) Alan and Ziggy make a good team!

Now it's troubleshooting time... check the oil, smell for water, check the transmission and talk to a couple of mechnaics... long story short, we have a slipping clutch on the starboard side. And better yet, it's a known issue on this boat and a warranty issue !!! Argh.... sounding like the chart plotter story... not a quick easy fix to this one...

So after some consultations and calls to make sure the issue is understood and that there is no quick fix, the decision is to carry on and continue the journey. Bummer the Mediterranean style of berthing is all stern to requiring reverse!!! So, we may decide to explore a few more bays and drop anchor or pick up mornings more than we do marinas for the rest of the journey...

So after a long day IN the harbor :-), we are now at 6pm in the cool little village of Almerimar drinking Sangria at the Stumble Inn and doing laundry at the lavanderia next door.

Welcome to the life of boating :-)
Comments
Azulita's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 6 August 2017

About & Links