Babar

21 April 2013 | Langkawi, Malaysia
01 February 2013 | Krabi, Thailand
20 January 2013 | Phang Nga Bay, Thailand
05 January 2013 | Phuket, Thailand
03 January 2013 | Langkawi, Malaysia
17 December 2012 | Penang, Malaysia
22 November 2012 | Malacca
20 November 2012 | Port Dickson, Malaysia
29 October 2012 | Johor Baru
22 October 2012 | Senimpan, Lingeh
11 October 2012 | Kumai, Kalimantan
11 October 2012 | Kumai, Kalimantan
11 October 2012 | Lovinna Beach, Bali
15 September 2012 | Lombok
05 September 2012 | Rinca Island
05 September 2012 | Rinca
21 August 2012 | Kroko Island, North Adunura
21 August 2012 | Kroko Island, North Adunura
21 August 2012 | Kroko Island, North Adunura
13 August 2012 | Lembata, Kawula Island

Need an aerial photo to do Phi Phi Le justice

05 January 2013 | Phuket, Thailand
We cleared into Thailand on a small island called Koh Lipe only 28 miles from Langkawi. We then day hopped to some spectacular anchorages enroute to Phuket. One such anchorage was Phi Phi Le - a beautiful lagoon enclosed by vertical cliffs and (no wonder) the chosen location for the movie "The Beach" with Leonardo Di Caprio. Only problem is that such locations attract day trippers from Phuket by the hordes. This means long tail boats, speed boats, power boats and liveaboard cruisers all vying for a place. We have now learnt that it is best to arrive at these spots after 4pm when everyone has left and we can enjoy the anchorage in peace . . . and to up anchor and leave before they all return the next day!!

We met up with some friends along the way that said that a lot of the yachts we know were going to Patong Beach on the west coast of Phuket for New Year. My original plan was to skip this bay altogether as it is the most touristic bay on the island - well that was my recollection 32 years ago!! And this was an understatement - the first night at anchor we could hear the thump thump of music until 3.30am. It was sooooo loud you wondered how people on the shore could cope . . . and we were anchored at least 500m from the shore!! Next day we hit the town looking for new sims, internet and ATM - and boy what a full on place!! It was chock-a-block with tourists - mainly Australian and European and for some reason Russian tourists??

We spent the early part of New Years eve with about 20 others in a restaurant and then headed back to one of the larger cataramans to get a birds eye view of the plentiful fireworks and the constant procession of candle-lit lanterns flying across the night sky. Liking a lantern myself and the well wishes it gets sent off with made this New Year very special.

The winds have been blowing in excess of 30 knots so we bunkered down in Patong for a few days. We left this morning (Jan 04) and will day hop up the west coast of Phuket trying to find protected anchorages and fewer jet ski's!! It is quite amazing how many people are here on this island. I know it is peak season and Christmas but looking ashore from where we are anchored the beach is covered from one end to the other of sun beds - and all of them are occupied!!

All that aside it is still great to be back in Thailand - the temperature is hot but without the humidity; the food is sensational, the thai massages (at a mere $10 per hour) are therapeutic and the swimming and snorkeling are superb.
Comments
Vessel Name: Babar
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 440
Hailing Port: Fremantle
Crew: Dan & Elise Barac

Who: Dan & Elise Barac
Port: Fremantle