Babar

21 April 2013 | Langkawi, Malaysia
01 February 2013 | Krabi, Thailand
20 January 2013 | Phang Nga Bay, Thailand
05 January 2013 | Phuket, Thailand
03 January 2013 | Langkawi, Malaysia
17 December 2012 | Penang, Malaysia
22 November 2012 | Malacca
20 November 2012 | Port Dickson, Malaysia
29 October 2012 | Johor Baru
22 October 2012 | Senimpan, Lingeh
11 October 2012 | Kumai, Kalimantan
11 October 2012 | Kumai, Kalimantan
11 October 2012 | Lovinna Beach, Bali
15 September 2012 | Lombok
05 September 2012 | Rinca Island
05 September 2012 | Rinca
21 August 2012 | Kroko Island, North Adunura
21 August 2012 | Kroko Island, North Adunura
21 August 2012 | Kroko Island, North Adunura
13 August 2012 | Lembata, Kawula Island

Tree in the way - no problem!!

11 October 2012 | Kumai, Kalimantan
We have just arrived back from our trip to Tanjung Putting National Park the best place on earth to see orang-utans in the wild. We were picked up by an open house boat looking vessel - our deck was covered with cushions and there was an open view of the river on all sides. The trip up the river was about 6 hours with ever changing thick jungle and the occasional wildlife. We then walked about 2kms to the research station where they attract the wild orang-utans with daily handouts of bananas and milk. Sure enough through the canopies of trees come these amazing acrobatic swinging orangutans. Magic to watch them up close and personal as they are supposed to be 97% the same genes as humans and therefore our closest relative. One cheeky female even tried to take dans water bottle from his hand which was a bit tense.

We headed back to the boat for sunset drinks and dinner on board. Our nights sleep on the open deck with a slither of a mattress and a mozy net was a little fitful with lots of strange noises in the night. Next day after an early breakfast we again set off on the river to another research station. The humidity is high and the heat is oppressive up the river and the only time your not dripping with sweat is when our houseboat is underway and there is a cool breeze. It was however a lovely way to travel and we felt thoroughly spoilt with our every meal prepared and the guys not having to worry about any engine problems.

We had a wonderful trip and Rob and Diana were great company. On our arrival back to our yachts (which had been manned 24 hours by boys from the houseboat crew) we were pleasantly surprised that the decks had been well washed and the stainless steel had been polished. Dan was so happy with the job that we gave them an extra tip which they were glad to see.

Again we have some very long sails in front of us thankfully in company with the good Doctor. Trying to avoid two overnighters at all costs we will head down the river tomorrow and anchor at the mouth of the river then head off first light Saturday for Belitung. This is the last rally stop in the sail Indonesia rally with a farewell party on October 20.
Comments
Vessel Name: Babar
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 440
Hailing Port: Fremantle
Crew: Dan & Elise Barac

Who: Dan & Elise Barac
Port: Fremantle