Bacon Good, Work Bad

Follow the adventures of Bacon and James as they travel the Great Lakes, Intracoastal Waterway, Florida, and the Bahamas. Stay in touch, follow along, or join me aboard!

About Me...

Who: James Burbidge
Port: Midland (Doral)
18 January 2011
18 January 2011 | Atlantis (Nassau)
02 January 2011 | Northwest Shoal
01 January 2011 | Bimini
30 December 2010 | Bimini
29 December 2010 | Bimini
28 December 2010 | Miami Beach
18 December 2010 | North Palm Beach
17 December 2010 | Peck Lake
16 December 2010 | Wabasso
15 December 2010 | Port Canaveral
13 December 2010 | Jacksonville
09 December 2010 | Jacksonville
06 December 2010 | Grande Dunes (Myrtle Beach)
05 December 2010 | St. James
04 December 2010 | Wrightsville Beach
03 December 2010 | Swansboro
01 December 2010 | Oriental
23 November 2010 | Oriental
22 November 2010 | Oriental

Happy Junkanoo!

01 January 2011 | Bimini
0 miles
The plan for New Year's Eve was to do all the things we failed to do yesterday, so once again we packed a lunch, loaded up the dinghy, and headed off. We went the other way this time, figuring we'd get to the snorkelling and spear fishing first, then work our way back if the day got too short to go all the way around. Besides, we needed to stop in town to get gas for the dinghy, and to pick up a SIM card so that I could use the phone I brought with me. Well, the gas was easy, but getting the phone working took all morning. Since we'd lost half the day, we shifted plans and decided to do some land-based sightseeing for the afternoon. We checked out the market stalls, bought some souvenirs and flip flops, checked out the museum, and stocked up on booze. We bought seven bottles of rum, gin, and vodka for $59! Gotta' love the Bahamas. Perhaps the highlight of the tour was a stop at the Dolphin House. This is a local dwelling built entirely from salvaged and reclaimed materials. Glass, tiles, shells, coral, beach sand, licence plates, you name it. It really is a work of art and a labour of love. Ashley Saunders, the owner, builder, and self-proclaimed official town historian, poet, and author was on hand to show us around. The man is a wealth of information, and not afraid to let you know it. Touring done, it was a wet ride back to the boat as the strong east wind whipped up a chop on the bay. A quick saltwater bath and rinse, change of clothes, and we headed into town again (by cab this time) for New Year's Eve. The town was pretty quiet until around ten, then everybody came out of the woodwork. Locals, tourists, old and young. We spent most of the night at a bar called Big John's where a band played in the New Year. Rum flowed, people danced, and we learned how to play a new bar game which involves swinging a ring on a string in an attempt to hang it on a hook on the wall. Some of these guys are really good at it. The party lasted well past midnight, with the promise of the big Junkanoo parade beginning at 4 am. Well, we stayed till after that, but the "parade" was really just all the drunken revellers pouring out into the street. We managed to hitch a ride on a golf cart that was heading our way. Unfortunately, the cart was very full, and I'd had a great many rums. This combination led to me tumbling out of the cart and headlong into a telephone pole. It was a hard fall and I saw stars, but managed to shake it off and get back aboard. Once back on Bacon, I went right to bed, while Jordi stayed up all night to make sure I hadn't concussed myself. Once I woke up (pretty sore and a bit snubbed up) Jordi hit the sack and pretty much finished off the day. Still never made it out snorkelling and spear fishing. While Jordi slept, Mike and Jenny (our anchorage neighbours) came by to swap stories and discuss travelling plans. Since we both had intentions of heading across the bank tomorrow, we decided to follow the same route and stick together. Jordi and I pulled the hook and brought Bacon into town for our last night. Staying at a marina would allow us to top up the water, fuel, and batteries, as well as watch the official Junkanoo parade in the evening. The parade was festive, with elaborate costumes and lots of noise. A smaller version of the big festival in Nassau. Pretty resourceful though for an island community of a few thousand people out in the middle of the ocean. The rest of the night was pretty quiet as Jordi and I continued to recover from last night. We even watched a movie.
Comments
Vessel Name: Bacon (nee Rapture)
Vessel Make/Model: CS 36 Traditional
Hailing Port: Midland (Doral)
Crew: James Burbidge
About:
I have sailed most of my life, although primarily on small boats on small lakes. For two decades now, I have aspired to get a "real" sailboat and use it to explore the planet by sea. This journey is a step toward that end. [...]

About Me...

Who: James Burbidge
Port: Midland (Doral)