Bagan Afloat

15 February 2015 | Rock Sound Harbour
12 January 2015
20 December 2014
04 December 2014 | 25 04.532'N:77 19.119'W
01 December 2014
23 November 2014 | Palm Beach Gardens/Fort Lauderdale
07 November 2014
30 October 2014
02 June 2014 | Palm Beach Gardens
01 June 2014 | 24 33.70'N:81 48.0'W
01 June 2014
23 February 2014
01 February 2014
01 February 2014
26 December 2013 | Panama
18 December 2013 | Panama

Heading North

01 June 2014
We returned to Cancun from Toronto on April 29. Rob Colwell returned with us on the same flight and Bruce and Donna Bowes arrived several hours later.

Everyone was excited to be there and start moving up to Isla Mujeres.
Unfortunately Ken was not well and had been diagnosed with acute prostatitis the night before our flight. He had a cold while in Toronto which likely masked the prostatitis problem. Needless to say, he was uncomfortable for most of the flight. Fortunately he had a couple of days to rest and let the antibiotics kick in before we left Cancun. It was a good thing that we had prepared Bagan before heading to Toronto. Donna and I just had to shop for fresh groceries and we were good to go!

The trip to Isla Mujeres was very calm. We were able to follow the coast up to Mujeres and enjoyed the beautiful day. As we approached Isla we stayed at the lovely Isla Mujeres Resort and Marina for 3 days. Hardly anyone was there, so we pretty well had the pool to ourselves. We rented a golf cart for 2 days so we could explore the island and the town. Lots of boats, resorts, beaches and good restaurants. We also drank the largest mango margarita we had ever seen! We had hoped to go snorkelling, but it poured the second day we were there and the visibility around us and in the water was not good.

The gods were with us and the weather window opened for us to leave. We left Isla Mujeres mid afternoon of May 5th having first fueled up with cheaper Mexican diesel. It was a beautiful sunny day, the seas were relatively calm and it felt good to get going. It did feel somewhat odd for Ken and I to leave as we had spent so much time in Mexico over the past 21 months. It was definitely our favourite country in Latin America.

The weather forecast was very positive for us. As we approached the Gulf Stream, we saw whitecaps forming and confused seas. It got very bumpy and rolly for a while as we entered the stream and started to run with it. At times, we had 1-2.5 knots of current running with us. Great for the diesel consumption!

Unfortunately, it became too bumpy for Bruce and he retreated to the flybridge for the next 24 hours. He and Donna even slept under the flybridge canvas to stay in the fresh air. Bruce started to improve the next day, but still spent most of the day on the flybridge. With the seaspray and wind, both he and Donna were pretty salty. The second night was spent sleeping on the main salon - a little less windy and salty and a lot more comfortable.

For us the crossing was better than we could have hoped for. We had heard disaster stories about converging winds and currents, so we were apprehensive. The winds were exactly as forecast (ESE, E and NE) and ranged between 9-15 knots. Other than the bumpy seas as we entered the Gulf Stream, the waves were no more than 6 ft, but usually in the 2-4ft. range. We had experienced worse leaving Bocas for Providencia!

We arrived at Key West on May 7th and were tied up at the Key West Bight Marina by 11:30 am. Bagan was covered in salt. You could run your hands along anything outside and your hand would be covered in salt. Bruce and Rob started washing down the boat while Ken, Donna and I tended to things inside. With that done, it was time to relax for a few days and explore Key West. We were back in North America!

Comments
Vessel Name: Bagan
Vessel Make/Model: Nordhavn 57
Hailing Port: Vancouver
Crew: Ken and Karin Fraser
About:
Ken has been a sailor for 50 years and switched to power when Bagan was purchased in 2011. Karin has been sailing with Ken for almost 40 years. [...]

About Us

Who: Ken and Karin Fraser
Port: Vancouver