Baltic Amber II

06 August 2014 | CONCARNEAU
01 August 2014 | Sailing Home
29 July 2014
28 July 2014 | Pornichet
27 July 2014 | PORNICHET
26 July 2014 | PORNICHET
17 July 2014 | Quiberon Peninsular
10 July 2014 | L'ORIENT, BRITTANY
08 July 2014 | BRITTANY FRANCE!
02 July 2014 | Concarneau
01 July 2014 | BENODET
27 June 2014 | South Finistere
23 June 2014 | South Brittany
22 June 2014 | France
19 June 2014 | France
17 June 2014 | France
13 June 2014 | Falmouth
07 June 2014 | Plymouth, UK
03 May 2014 | Plymouth Sound
20 April 2014 | Plymouth Yacht Haven Marina

L'aber Wrac'h Marina

17 June 2014 | France
Galley slave/ sunny but windy
Well folks we have arrived, left Falmouth at about 11am, under engine and in lovely sunshine and waited for the wind to kick into Northerly.....wind didn't change direction so we ploughed on under engine. Dolphins joined us for about 15 mins long enough to have their photos taken and then went back feeding to the shoal of fish they had found, it was certainly magical. We finally put our sails up after we had some lunch and carried on with lovely sunshine sailing towards France. Goonhilly seemed to stay visible for a very long time-wishful thinking on my part, not sure. Anyway we were certainly on our way as the tankers became visible going from east to west and vice-versa across our path. As the afternoon progressed and we started thinking about our evening meal we decided we would see if we could give ourselves a rest by doing an hour on and hour off..... "Shout if you are not happy" said the skipper......nothing has happened so I have given up shouting now! This worked until it started getting dark and the sea swell decided to make things a little uncomfortable for both of us, whether lying in a bunk below deck or sat in the cockpit, the shipping lane boats now had lights on and we had put away our sails and had the engine on. This makes it very noisy below and difficult to rest easy. We passed through the shipping lanes with little problem although he did swear once but decide I didn't want to know why as he hadn't shouted for help!

Anyway Graham did most of the night watch on his own, although I made him a few cups of tea, and I did give up resting and went into the cockpit at about 4pmish. It's cold at that time of the morning. We had spotted the coast of France and could see lights in the distance saw a flashing light which we thought was some lighthouse and a stationery one -a buoy? Well the lighthouse was correct although not sure which one but the buoy turned out to be a yacht at rest although at this point we had over 100metres of water beneath our keel so that is some chain he has!

France definitely in view and we were awake now..... Excited but very tired... We had to watch out for cardinal markers and buoys marking the safe channel into this marina and had planned each hazard on a sheet of paper to make it easier for us both. We passed four English boats leaving who gave us a friendly wave, making us keen to get in. We came alongside at 7am and a very kind Frenchman, getting ready to leave himself took our stern line while I gut our centre spring onto a cleat. By 7.30am we were tied up, so a cuppa and breakfast while we waited for the office to open to go and pay for a couple of nights.

This we did and came back onto the boat to make the important phone calls to let Sam and the coastguard know we were safe and sound......now some much needed sleep......!
Comments
Vessel Name: Baltic Amber
Vessel Make/Model: Najad 391
Hailing Port: Plymouth
Crew: Graham & Lesley Chubb
About: Recently retired and about to "live the dream"
Extra: Currently in Plymouth getting the boat ready for long term cruising. We plan to leave in the Spring of 2014. Now going in June 2014, only to return on September for two weeks for our Sons wedding!

BALTIC AMBER II

Who: Graham & Lesley Chubb
Port: Plymouth