Babystepping on Banjo

18 June 2013 | Soufriere, St. Lucia
14 June 2013 | Soufrierre, St. Lucia
09 June 2013 | St. Lucia
20 April 2013 | Basseterre, St. Kitts
20 April 2013 | Basseterre, St. Kitts
15 April 2013 | Basseterre, St. Kitts
15 April 2013 | St. Kitts
17 March 2013 | Ram Head Moorings, St. John
05 March 2013 | Key Bay, Peter Island, BVI
05 March 2013 | Key Bay, Peter Island, BVI
02 March 2013 | Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
22 February 2013 | Dewey harbor--Culebra
22 February 2013 | Dewey harbor--Culebra
19 February 2013 | Ensenada Honda--Vieques
19 February 2013 | Ensenada Honda--Vieques
11 February 2013 | Ensenada Honda--Vieques
11 February 2013 | Ensenada Honda--Vieques
11 February 2013 | Ensenada Honda--Vieques
10 February 2013 | Bahia Salinas Del Sur--Vieques
02 February 2013 | Ponce, Puerto Rico

The Road More Traveled

05 March 2013 | Key Bay, Peter Island, BVI
Douglas Paddock
Cruising guides call the Virgin Islands the "path more traveled." This is the charter capital of the world. Chartering is when someone rents a sailboat for a week with or without a captain. The vessel of choice is usually a catamaran--more room for more people. From one advertisement, we read that chartering can cost from $400-$1,300/day without a captain. The catamarans allow folks to spread the cost among more people.

The Virgin Islands are extremely close together. They call it "line of sight" navigating. You can see where you are going. Right now, we are anchored on Peter Island. From our anchorage, I can see Norman Island, St. John, and Tortola. The ease of navigation also makes this area popular.

The busy season is January-March. Anecdotes of charterers racing to competing for moorings (now substantiated) are often recounted.

There are a number of famous spots in the Virgin Islands--must sees according to some. The Baths of Virgin Gorda, the Indians and the Caves on Norman Island, the wreck of the Rhone, Trellis Bay, Foxy's and the Bubbles on Jost Van Dyke, etc. etc.

For retro-cruisers, the Virgin Islands have been ruined--lost their yesteryear wonder in the transition to popularity.

Back in the States, I always listened and envied folk who had chartering experience here. Most of them describe it as "the best experience of their lifetime" and can't wait to return.

Once we left Puerto Rico, it was natural for us to pass through. It was also a convenient spot for Huston to visit us for spring break.

So far, we don't hate it. The islands are beautiful. The weather is warm. The water is clear.

I just can't imagine loving it though. So crowded. Charter folk so intent on cramming in enough experiences to justify the expense of being here. Anchorages so full that they look like RV parks.

Meyka got it right when she said that our experience here would largely be determined by our attitude. I'm probably getting a C+ in that department. But we are becoming a little better skilled at finding the places where the crowds aren't and in retrospect I'm sure that we will become more positive about it here.

A favorite story of mine is when my employer, Modern Woodmen, sponsored a day at a theme park. It had to be 100 degrees in the shade. The park was so crowded that the parking lots overflowed onto the freeway nearby. I looked at my manager, Albert Hurst, and said, "I'd NEVER come to a place like this on a day like this." He simply replied, "It looks like a lot of people disagree with you."

The Virgin Islands. Looks like a lot of people disagree with me.
Comments
Vessel Name: Banjo
Vessel Make/Model: CSY 44 Walkover
Hailing Port: Beaufort, NC
Crew: Doug, Meyka, & Wally
About:
We began babystepping into the cruising life when we moved to the coast of Wilmington, NC. Rob Larkin became our sailing mentor. We bought our first sailboat-a 30' Rawson. Later we traded the Rawson on Banjo. We started cruising full time September 2012. [...]

Babystepping

Who: Doug, Meyka, & Wally
Port: Beaufort, NC